IGNORED

MAC/65 Can’t load from SDriveMax?

800_Rocks

Hi - I have a .ATR as drive2 on my SDriveMax.  The .ATR contains all the example ASM programs from the good old ‘Atari Roots’ book.  From MyDOS 4.53 (and OS A+) I can see drive2 is full of MAC/65 .SRC files. However, from the MAC/65 prompt when I try to load (‘ENTER’) a .SRC file I keep getting a 164 Error (which is not in the MAC/65 manual).  It does attempt to read from D2:, you hear several ‘read beeps’. I have tried other .SRC files on the same .ATR and have moved the .ATR to drive1 and I keep getting the same error in MAC/65.

As I am using SDriveMax, I tried lowering the SIO speed but that did not help. Is there some known trick when using MAC/65 and SDriveMax?  Do I need to use a different boot loader location maybe?  I am rusty with MAC/65 so maybe I am doing something silly.

Thanks for any/all ideas. 

4A1936D1-095A-4EE4-A965-A5DD0B2D9DF6.thumb.jpeg.602f777dfc0ef3c23a2da4b68e69103e.jpeg

6DCCE66A-05FA-48C2-BA33-6172A707B60B.thumb.jpeg.d1b02dbf34972ac171d88036d97a07ea.jpeg

Hi,

I think MAC/65 supports 2 file types, ATASCII files can be loaded with 'ENTER', tokenised files can be loaded with 'LOAD". You can see what sort of files you are dealing with by copying one to the E: device in DOS/MyDOS (it will be displayed on screen). If it's ATASCII it will be easy to read, if it's a tokenised file it will have a lot of binary/non-alphabetic characters.

Error 164 is an OS error (apparently), which is: 164 File number mismatch

Maybe copy the files onto a standard DOS 2.5 disk/ATR and try again?

I got the info from: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/attach/Mac65/Mac-65 Rev. 1.2 Manual.pdf and https://www.atariwiki.org/wiki/attach/Articles/Atari_8-Bit_Error-Codes.pdf

• Thanks 1

164 will often be result of corrupted files/disk.  Fairly sure it can also occur when the DOS in use is looking at a file system "above" it's capabilities, e.g. Dos 2.0 on a MyDos disk.

Maybe see if you can copy files from it by booting it raw (no cart) - copy individual files to H:

On 1/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, 800_Rocks said:

Hi - I have a .ATR as drive2 on my SDriveMax.  The .ATR contains all the example ASM programs from the good old ‘Atari Roots’ book.  From MyDOS 4.53 (and OS A+) I can see drive2 is full of MAC/65 .SRC files. However, from the MAC/65 prompt when I try to load (‘ENTER’) a .SRC file I keep getting a 164 Error (which is not in the MAC/65 manual).  It does attempt to read from D2:, you hear several ‘read beeps’. I have tried other .SRC files on the same .ATR and have moved the .ATR to drive1 and I keep getting the same error in MAC/65.

4 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Thanks but I should have stated that is where I got my original problematic .ATR

I used the disk with Mac/65 3.6 and MyDOS 4.53 in emulation. It appears to ENTER the files, but then locks up when I go to list them. If I change to Mac/65 1.02 and MyDOS 4.53, everything works fine. Mac/65 3.6 is not an official release; it was never released commercially. So, I would say, stick with the official release versions -- unless someone can figure out what the problem is for you.

9 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I used the disk with Mac/65 3.6 and MyDOS 4.53 in emulation. It appears to ENTER the files, but then locks up when I go to list them. If I change to Mac/65 1.02 and MyDOS 4.53, everything works fine. Mac/65 3.6 is not an official release; it was never released commercially. So, I would say, stick with the official release versions -- unless someone can figure out what the problem is for you.

I forgot to do something I was already thinking before... I tried using the OSS 043M banking (instead of OSS 034M banking), for loading version 3.6, and it looks like it's working with the files now.

[Edit]

I'm using the files from the original ATR and I also used them from the "H:" drive; both are working.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I forgot to do something I was already thinking before... I tried using the OSS 043M banking (instead of OSS 034M banking), for loading version 3.6, and it looks like it's working with the files now.

[Edit]

I'm using the files from the original ATR and I also used them from the "H:" drive; both are working.

and such things should be noted on the WIKI's and in text files with both the Software AND the ROMs

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1