IGNORED

PAL vs NTSC power supplies?

leech

Been looking around for a while, and for some reason I can't seem to find a Yay or Nay on whether or not it's safe to take a PAL 800xl (or one of the others that use the DIN connector (so all 8bit computers besides the first three, (400,800,1200xl)), and plug in a USA power supply.

Pretty sure it's fine, as the power / switching goes on in the fatty brick, but I just want to make sure.  Already made the mistake of plugging a C128 PSU into an Amiga 500 and it making some funny smells!

The power at the DIN connector is just +5VDC, so just use whatever power supply is appropriate for the location the machine is currently operating in.

A 240V AC PSU will generate +5V DC from a 240V AC power source, and a A 120V AC PSU will generate +5V DC from a 120V AC power source.

So yes, using a USA PSU on a PAL 800XL will be just fine, other than the other challenge of dealing with the PAL video output. :)

14 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

The power at the DIN connector is just +5VDC, so just use whatever power supply is appropriate for the location the machine is currently operating in.

A 240V AC PSU will generate +5V DC from a 240V AC power source, and a A 120V AC PSU will generate +5V DC from a 120V AC power source.

So yes, using a USA PSU on a PAL 800XL will be just fine, other than the other challenge of dealing with the PAL video output. :)

Ha, I have multiple fixes for the PAL -> NTSC output.  Either a composite switch box, or the one I just added to the collection has a VBXE in it, and I have SCART cables for the Retrotink / OSSC.  I just didn't want the 800xl to start smelling bad when I powered it on.