IGNORED

AVG cart with SIDE2 emulation questions

mojek

Hi, first let's consider my limitations - I have played with stocked 800XL or 800 XE (no Ultimate1MB) and the AVG cart with SIO cable and with PBI or ECI cables.

I am not sure, but I though, I could access the SD card system, when running Sparta DOS (or some programs), but I am struggling with it...

q1) Enabling/disabling IDE emulation  (e.g.via Ctrl+Sgift+S) does not have any effect, when just stocked XL/XE, right?

I was at least able to run the stacked Altira1.29 .car with SDX (SpartaDos) - the CAR command gave me the Altira Basic 1.29 ready prompt, other things like Turbo Basic XL or Action! cartridge files weren't successful with SDX.  

I was able to store the program in such Altira Basic to one of the APT partition created by FDISK, also copy a file between two APT partitions.

q2) What is a good way(supposing there exist more ways) to copy the file stored at that APT partition to the PC? (I cannot access the fat partition (there are two of them created in my SDDisc)?

DIR D8: (originally mapped fat disk in the FDIS) gives  "148 Unknow file system"  error), DIR D1: up to D6: are giving the result of stored files inside of the APT partitions.

A next scenario: running  the SIDE LOADER (not the SDX)

q3) all the mounts points to the SIO - what that means and is it supposed to be changed manually somewhere within the SIDE LOADER?

q4) Options: FAT FMS can be enabled/disabled - where can I see the effect of that?

q5) Tools/Umount ATRs and  ATR swap do not do anything - is this supposed behavior?

thanks in advance for your answers!

Edited by mojek
a little correction

Q2: It's a bit problematic. Read access to a FAT16 (only) partition is possible after you load the FATFS.SYS driver. The problem is - it's read-only and you cannot save anything back to a FAT partition. There's no read/write driver yet. I think, the easiest option is to use a large disk image mounted as one of the drives and accessing the files under emulator on a PC. But I personally hate this option. Another is using a SIO2PC device. Or FujiNet - but I'm not sure if proper drivers already work.

Q4: It allows one to boot simple ATRs - but it's veeeery limited.

Q5: If you have Ultimate1MB or IDE+2, it's possible to mount/unmount ATR images under SDX. The problem is, you need to have R/W access to the disk, where these ATRs are stored. Which means, you cannot have them stored on a FAT16 partition (look @Q2).

q2:  thanks a lot! So if I would have a e.g. SIO2PC cable and a SIO splitter in (actually whatever else simulating a drive),  then I can copy the files from the ATP outside, right? 

q5: Sounds, like these items are there really just in case Ultimate1MB present. ok, thanks.