IGNORED

How to run an ASM program

pmgraphics

With Altirra, I attached the ATARI Assembler Editor rom. I then load an ASM file (ENTER #D:FILE.ASM). I can LIST the program to see the code. I then assemble the code with ASM,,#D:FILE.OBJ.

How do I then run the program? I detached the Assembler Editor and entered DOS, selected LOAD BINARY FILE and provided D:FILE.OBJ, but nothing happened.

My test ASM file is BOPOTRON.ASM from ANALOG #24.

thanks

Bopotron.asm is only the assembly language to show you how they wrote the machine language for the basic program. It will not run on its own. You need to enter the basic program which has all the DATA statements for the assembly language.

If you can find the disk for Analog #24 then you can just run the Bopotron.bas

7 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I tried to explain this on the issue #24 post

"BOPOTRON.OBJ is not a game, just a compiled version of the data statements in the BASIC program."

yup you did. sometimes we have to connect all the dots it seems. That's ok though tomorrow I'll be clueless and need to be told my name so look whos talkin'

re learning is part of the experience

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies. I was doing this more for an exercise to see how to use these assembly listings that I recall seeing as a kid and had no idea about.

If the assembly listing that I used was a complete functioning program would my steps have worked to run it?

Back in the day if someone had the Assembler Editor, what would they have done with these assembly listings in ANALOG if they weren't functioning programs?

• Like 1

I haven't used that cart for a while, but if you know the starting address, you go into the debugger and start executing at the address. 

this is from the wiki

ASM
BUG
G600
X

compile, enter debugger, G600 because 600 is the init run address for the wiki's example program. The last command is to exit.

44 minutes ago, pmgraphics said:

Thanks for all the replies. I was doing this more for an exercise to see how to use these assembly listings that I recall seeing as a kid and had no idea about.

If the assembly listing that I used was a complete functioning program would my steps have worked to run it?

Back in the day if someone had the Assembler Editor, what would they have done with these assembly listings in ANALOG if they weren't functioning programs?

In short, yes.

You have been following that other thread, there have been a few of the games that did compile into working games. Scroll back, read descriptions and find one that interests you. Or better yet, go to post 1 as a menu.

18 minutes ago, Mark2008 said:

I haven't used that cart for a while, but if you know the starting address, you go into the debugger and start executing at the address. 

this is from the wiki

ASM
BUG
G600
X

compile, enter debugger, G600 because 600 is the init run address for the wiki's example program. The last command is to exit.

I am focused on one job right now, but I have to say ... figuring out which assembler to use has been fun, and given the time after I complete the disks, I might give Atari Assembly a go.  I like MAC/65.