IGNORED

Atari 800XL and UAV -> No color

macsonny

Hi All,

This one is driving me a bit batty and have done lots of reading but still can't resolve.

Have installed a UAV in my Atari 800XL. I seem to remember it working fine in the past. I haven't used my 800XL in some time as my main machine is a 130XE.

Anyway, plugged in the 800XL today and I get a reasonable image, but it's got no colour. Ok, bit of fault finding and reading suggested that maybe the chroma and luma wires from the UAV board are the wrong way around. Swap them around and get nice colour but major zig zag jail bars which suggests the chroma and luma are the wrong way around!

Saw them back and get a nice image but no colour. 

Doing my head in and wondering if anyone knows "the fix"?

Thanks

p.s. Install images and screen shot attached.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

How are you connecting to your display? Composite or S-video? Does the cable check out with a colour output on your 130XE? 

Also worth checking continuity with the jack's pins. 

Might also be worth looking at the colour pots on the 800XL and uav. 

You can get colour issues with failing transistors in the stock video circuit but here I believe uav bypasses them anyway. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

14 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

How are you connecting to your display? Composite or S-video? Does the cable check out with a colour output on your 130XE? 

Also worth checking continuity with the jack's pins. 

Might also be worth looking at the colour pots on the 800XL and uav. 

You can get colour issues with failing transistors in the stock video circuit but here I believe uav bypasses them anyway. 

Aaaah, good idea. Just checked the same cable with the 130 XE and got the same grey colour. So it's a cable issue.

Do you know the wiring for a S-video cable from the 800 XL DIN to S-video connector by any chance?

So I forgot I have a decent cable that I'd used in the past. I now have 2 home made cable (one S-video and one composite) and one pro cable. I know the pro cables works.

It seems no matter what I use (800 XL or 130 XE) and irrespective of video type (s-video or composite) I get zero colour on the screen so I'm thinking it's my OSSC unit settings.

Anyone running their Atari from an OSSC and know the setting that work for S-video as clearly I've got something badly wrong!

13 minutes ago, mimo said:

Does the ossc support s-video?

Screenshot_20230128-094524.png

The bare OSSC doesn't but the add on board that connects the OSSC to additional input does per attached photo. I actually just connected the composite cable from both my Atari XE and XL and got the grey screen. Starting to wonder if it's a tv issue?

IMG_1818.jpg