IGNORED

New to fujinet

mutil8

never used

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Wild guess by me:

The authors omitted this information because it is exactly the same as for any of the other disk-emulating devices like SIO2SD, SDrive, SDriveMax.

never used any of those.

tbh havent done anything w atari 8 bit in 20 years.

as for the 128 micro sd card - I only got it as that was only card the store had available. target carries more variety but was completely sold out.

24 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

This is not entirely true either, as the Fujinet does try to save information to the SD card for this or that and tries to read from it as well.

All true but mutil8 wants to load disk images from the Fujinet. For this purpose it is undoubtedly useful but not needed (in case his 128 GB card won't play nice). 

27 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

One should not assume anyone has had any of those other devices? Why would they?

I totally agree but it still might be the reason why this information is missing. ;)

28 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

FujiNet needs certain things in certain folders as well.

Yep true but disk images don't need to stay in a particular folder like IIRC the SIO2SD requires it. 

This comment was targeted at the idea to watch a video for one of those devices while the Fujinet videos don't give this information. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Something to understand about the FujiNet: there's nothing equivalent to a search engine or software directory for it.  Because of this, it's necessary to do some exploring in order to find the software that you're looking for.

What I can tell you is that the Envision editor is available on tnfs.online.  I know this because it's my server ;)

Under 'TNFS Host List', pick a slot and hit Return.  Delete any server name that may already be in there, and replace it with tnfs.online.

Next, navigate to tnfs.online.  You should see a few directories, one of them called 'files'.  Navigate into that one.  From there, you'll see a number of platforms listed.  You want 'A8'.

From there, go to 'Disk Images', 'E', 'Envision'.  You should find four disk images in there.  For each one that you want to copy to SD, highlight it, then press 'C'.  Now select your destination - in this case, 'SD'.  Hit Return, and then 'C' to copy the file to SD.  Repeat as needed for the other disk images.

Once that's done, you can load them by hitting ESC to return to the main menu, selecting 'SD', then selecting the image you want to load.  When prompted, select a drive slot (starting at the top is recommended).  Hit Return twice.  You should see the image you selected in the topmost drive slot.  To boot, press OPTION and hold it down until you get the usual blue boot screen.  At this point Envision should be loading, assuming that I've transcribed my steps correctly :D

It becomes second nature pretty quickly, but there is a bit of getting used to how the FujiNet carries out operations.  It's fairly consistent about it, though, so once you get used to navigating, selecting, etc. it's usually just a case of checking the bottom couple of lines for prompts as to the operations that can be selected.

ok with the detailed formating instructions for the sd card, and x=usr's instructions I have finally had some success. sd card is working in fujinet and I was able to load 4 ATRs for the envision program.

Having a strange issue now when i boot any of the 4 ATRs it always brings up envision, not the documentation or utility progrs. for example if i hold option on the documentation ATR, instead I get the envision program.

I was at one point earlier able to boot the documentation ATR. Not sure what I am doing incorrectly but I suspect it is something simple.

seems to happen whether I am booting ATR from the SD or from a drive slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mutil8 said:

ok with the detailed formating instructions for the sd card, and x=usr's instructions I have finally had some success. sd card is working in fujinet and I was able to load 4 ATRs for the envision program.

Having a strange issue now when i boot any of the 4 ATRs it always brings up envision, not the documentation or utility progrs. for example if i hold option on the documentation ATR, instead I get the envision program.

I was at one point earlier able to boot the documentation ATR. Not sure what I am doing incorrectly but I suspect it is something simple.

seems to happen whether I am booting ATR from the SD or from a drive slot.

Be sure that the documentation disk is mounted in slot 1, and hold down OPTION long enough to disable BASIC while the disk boots.  I was just able to get it to boot for me by doing that.

The option is just to boot the computer, not for selecting which ATR to boot.

Atari boots from D1: and in this case is the ATR that you mounted in the first slot.

With one of the buttons you can "rotate" the disks assigments, which is equivalent to extracting a floppy and inserting another one in a real floppy drive .

OK this is not working for me. At this point I have a strong desire to test fujinet on my garbage disposal.

I have 4 .atrs loaded on SD:

envision A program.atr

envision B docs.atr

envision C utilities.atr

envision d maps & fonts.atr

booting by holding down option key:

mounting envision A to drive 1 I am able to boot it up.

envision B to drive 1 I am currently getting black screen when booting.

envision C to drive 1 I get the documentation program when booting.

envision D to drive 1 I get BOOT ERROR when booting.

Also how do I delete .atrs in SD? cannot find an option.

Is there a simple method to transfer an .atr to physical disk and simply use it from disk/1050 drive?

as a further test I just copied Ballblazer from tnfs.online. mounted to drive 1 and booted. it ran fine.

Edited by mutil8

51 minutes ago, mutil8 said:

I have 4 .atrs loaded on SD:

This is correct

52 minutes ago, mutil8 said:

booting by holding down option key:

mounting envision A to drive 1 I am able to boot it up.

envision B to drive 1 I am currently getting black screen when booting.

envision C to drive 1 I get the documentation program when booting.

envision D to drive 1 I get BOOT ERROR when booting.

What did you expect?

A is the program and boots fine, as you say.

C is the documentation and boots fine, as you say.

B and D are probably data and were never intended to boot from.

This problem of yours is not related to FujiNet but would happen on a physical disk exactly the same.

I have no idea how to operate Envision but wildly guess that you might boot disk A and then switch the disk to B or C and try to load some character set from there.

You could as well load disks B and/or C to drive slots D2 and/or D3 and load the data from there (without replacing your boot disk in D1 beforehand).

Check Envision's manual on how to work with different disks.

56 minutes ago, mutil8 said:

Also how do I delete .atrs in SD? cannot find an option.

Remove them from the drive slot? => EJECT in FujiNet's config

Really remove from SD? => Mount the SD on the PC and delete it there.

57 minutes ago, mutil8 said:

Is there a simple method to transfer an .atr to physical disk and simply use it from disk/1050 drive?

Boot a disk copy program on your Atari; for convenience do this from a physical floppy (which you have set to D1) because then swapping the disk is easier.

Insert an empty disk into the floppy drive and mount the needed disk image in FujiNet to drive slot D2(!) and then copy your disk from D2 to D1 (or vice-versa if you want to copy a physical disk to an ATR).

34 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

What did you expect?

A is the program and boots fine, as you say.

C is the documentation and boots fine, as you say.

B and D are probably data and were never intended to boot from.

This problem of yours is not related to FujiNet but would happen on a physical disk exactly the same.

No

B is documentation. it  does not boot.  

C is utility. when i boot it documentation comes up 

D ok boot error this it would make sense if this contains data.

Do the images work in an emulator on your PC?

Perhaps the download of your disk B is corrupt.

Please note that Utililty does NOT boot into any utility program but shows the documentation for the utilities (which must be loaded from a DOS you have to boot from any other DOS disk).

Does the splash screen read

"DOCUMENTATION     ENVISION      by Darren Schebek"

or "DOCUMENTATION   ENVISION UTILITIES   by Darren Schebek"?

Envision B Docs.atr

Edited by DjayBee

2 hours ago, mutil8 said:

OK this is not working for me. At this point I have a strong desire to test fujinet on my garbage disposal.

Send it this way, or tell us where you live to pick it up.

Seriously, Fujinet is just emulating a disk drive. If you or someone else use the ATRs to create real floppy disks you will get the same behavior. When you "mount" an ATR in an Fujinet slot, from the Atari computer point of view, you are just inserting a floppy disk in a drive, for example in D1:. The source of the ATR does not matter, i.e., it is the same (except speed, maybe) whether it is locally stored in the SD card or it is being shared by someone in a TNFS server (like fujinet.online).

If I remember correctly, if you connect to the fujinet device webpage using a web browser (by getting the IP address from the config page or from your router), there is some file management you might be able to perform. But I am not sure, since I don't put a lot of stuff in the SD card, and when I need to do it, I prefer the convenience and speed of a big screen and I just insert the card in the reader of my PC.

Now, this community is formidable and almost everything you need is here for you to use. For example:

Which sent me to this:

Serious Computerist: Utility, ATR, PDF, Manual, Atari 400 800 XL XE 600XL 800XL 1200XL 65XE 130XE XEGS System, Alpha Systems Advanced Software Protection Techniques, Jim Dunion Extended DDT, Brian Schappel Debug+, James Bayless Genie David Kano Hex-A-Bug

7 hours ago, mutil8 said:

B is documentation. it  does not boot.

Disk B definitely boots; I just tested it from here and am looking at its splash screen.

I'm leaning towards the local copy being corrupt.  What happens if you try to load and run it directly from the server?

44 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Disk B definitely boots; I just tested it from here and am looking at its splash screen.

The file attached to my post above was downloaded from your server. ;)

But as downloading each file took ages, your server might have problems. This maybe could also lead to corrupt downloads. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DjayBee said:

The file attached to my post above was downloaded from your server. ;)

But as downloading each file took ages, your server might have problems. This maybe could also lead to corrupt downloads. 

Weird - running a SHA256 hash against both your copy and the one on the server returns the same result (54123eb7d75dd969dc8b3018b96b2432fa3f15c9b5039454e58c5e5739bce659).  There's nothing obvious on the server to suggest that it may be having general health problems.

Network health looks to be good, and I'm not seeing anything likely to have impacted speeds.  The ISP and / or upstream providers could potentially have been having issues, but there's no way to prove or disprove that at this time.

Dumb question, but I'd like to eliminate it as a potential common point of failure: is everyone's FujiNet using the same firmware?  My FujiNets are on 2023-01-30 0.5.13741956 and are running the B disk without issue.

31 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Weird - running a SHA256 hash against both your copy and the one on the server returns the same result

Here you misunderstood me. I know that my copy is good but mutil8's one might not be.

Right now I redownloaded "Envision A Program.atr" from your server. It took 31 seconds only for the download (after I had browsed to its directory).

Even a dir command in files/A8 takes 2 seconds, for example.

31 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Dumb question, but I'd like to eliminate it as a potential common point of failure: is everyone's FujiNet using the same firmware? 

I don't have a running Atari at the moment and therefore used tnfscl.py and PHP-TNFS. In both cases the download took that long.

Edited by DjayBee

15 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Here you misunderstood me. I know that my copy is good but mutil8's one might not be.

Ah, gotcha :)

15 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Right now I redownloaded "Envision A Program.atr" from your server. It took 31 seconds only for the download (after I had browsed to its directory).

Even a dir command in files/A8 takes 2 seconds, for example.

I don't have a running Atari at the moment and therefore used tnfscl.py and PHP-TNFS. In both cases the download took that long.

PHP-TNFS has performance issues not just with tnfs.online but also other servers.  mozzwald checked it in to one of the repos, but I'm not sure that any work has been done on it since then.

I'm not seeing the same issues with directory browsing and downloading that you are, however.  Going via VPN from here, it's a bit slower but not awful.  Even using the python client to download from remote hosts is about what I would expect it to be performance-wise.

Maybe there's a carrier / peering issue somewhere?  None of my off-network test points are outside of North America, so that may be having an effect on the results I'm seeing.

4 hours ago, mutil8 said:

every version I see is 0.5. followed by various letters and numbers.

when trying to upgrade firmware using usb to micro usb cord I get serial port not found error.

I couldn't help in respect of the process but just a thought... The cable you are using is a confirmed USB data cable and not just a USB charge cable? 

8 hours ago, mutil8 said:

when trying to upgrade firmware using usb to micro usb cord I get serial port not found error.

Have you downloaded the driver for the UART? The driver will install a com port. https://fujinet.online/download/ has a link to said driver and the latest FujiNet-Flasher v1.4.1 updated Jan 24, 2023.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mutil8 said:

This is correct.  1.6 refers to the hardware revision, but firmware is numbered independently.

FWIW, your best bet is generally to go by release date and just use the most recent.  For the moment, ignore the builds marked SIO2BT - I'm going out on a limb and assuming that they're not relevant to your machine.