IGNORED

Wall mounting my Atari's.

COREi64

Decided to mount the majority of my retro computer collection in such a way that I can enjoy the sight of them when I'm not using them, and have easy access to them when I do.

For the longest time, I've wanted to have access to my Atari collection, but have always had to dig through boxes to find what I want... sometimes burning most of my available time looking for them instead of using them... So I solved my problem by designing brackets for all of the machines in my collection.  (forgive the "other" brands on the wall).  Heh.

COREi64

• Like 10

They are likely 3D printed. 

I have a set of slightly different XL and XE as well as ST 3D printed brackets which are great. Also an Atari joystick wall mount bracket. 

See here for the stl files:

XE

Atari ST

Atari joystick wallmount 

XL

Screenshot_20230204_171344.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_171302.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_171223.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_171158.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

24 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Is there something to prevent these from tipping forward and thus falling out of the brackets?

Which ones, Corei64's own brackets in the video, or the ones on thingyverse? 

The thingyverse ones are angled so the A8's lean back enough. I'd probably say mount them on a wall you don't walk past as such just to minimise the chances of knocking them. Otherwise they are fine. Probably the same goes for Corei64's design too, where by the looks of it his also stop side movement. Nice design. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Just to be clear, the brackets that I show in my original post are of my own design, and have nothing at all to do with the models on thingyverse.

To answer questions of how the machines stay in the brackets, watching the video would do the best job of answering those questions.  Essentially, the center of gravity is behind the wall so the machines want to naturally stay tipped back.  The machines cannot slide side to side, and are firmly retained in the bracket due to each bracket having the specific profile of it's respective machine designed into it.

And with respect to areas with vibration... the comment by "The doctor" that mine shouldn't be used in areas of vibration is without merit, as that person hasn't first hand seen my brackets in action.  I can say without a doubt that vibrations from the walls would not cause the machines to come out of the brackets.  The vibrations would have to be violent to the point where you'd have larger concerns than a machine coming off the wall.

COREi64

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Which ones, Corei64's own brackets in the video, or the ones on thingyverse? 

The thingyverse ones are angled so the A8's lean back enough. I'd probably say mount them on a wall you don't walk past as such just to minimise the chances of knocking them. Otherwise they are fine. Probably the same goes for Corei64's design too, where by the looks of it his also stop side movement. Nice design. 

Yes, you are correct that my design prevents side to side movement.  The machines in the brackets are very secure, and even bumping into them wouldn't cause them to come out.  It would take an upward lifting motion to actually dislodge them from their position.  But, your comment of keeping them out of walking paths does of course make sense.

And thanks, glad you like the design.

COREi64

• Like 1

I didn't say it was specifically pointed at you corei64, other options were discussed. Now that I think about it some and looked more closely- What was in the back of my mind is this...

as you are

Taking things a bit personal there- seismic activity is normally, but not exclusively, used in reference to earthquakes these days. So you are saying these are earthquake proof then. :) Wow, so my sister in California need not worry. I think that the rules for her are that even book cases be tethered etc. Things on walls are supposed to be secured so they don't move, jump, or tilt and require a tether or clasp. You know secure, so someone or something can't cause stuff to be dislodged, fall down on people, shatter or other such nonsense. Heck, even where there isn't such things going on, people protect plates on their walls better.

It looks great, very pleasing even though you yourself have a reservation about people walking by them in pathways etc. Would it be so terrible to say hey, good idea, let's have an option to secure these valuables better. Heck you could make a couple more dollars with such a system. I don't think that is a terrible thing. I personally would secure my machines is all. You could improve your product and your profits/or not.

I really like some of your work, but you don't take a critique very well. Suggesting the need to have your product first hand to deduce any of this is complete BS as well, watching your video and looking at the product was enough for me. That was your suggestion by the way. I also was at the website and looked at the brackets, being saddled or cupped as they are sliding isn't normally and issue.

I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst. It is my wish that you will consider prospective customer views and thoughts in higher regard. Your brackets look to be built well enough and some are quite nice, the ST bracket looked hefty. I would still want a little top end assurance. Having trusted such things in the past has taught me to be careful. Children/Grandchildren/Rowdy guests can be an 'earthquake' in and of themselves, and don't forget pets, etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__

17 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I didn't say it was specifically pointed at you corei64, other options were discussed. Now that I think about it some and looked more closely- What was in the back of my mind is this...

as you are

Taking things a bit personal there- seismic activity is normally, but not exclusively, used in reference to earthquakes these days. So you are saying these are earthquake proof then. :) Wow, so my sister in California need not worry. I think that the rules for her are that even book cases be tethered etc. Things on walls are supposed to be secured so they don't move, jump, or tilt and require a tether or clasp. You know secure, so someone or something can't cause stuff to be dislodged, fall down on people, shatter or other such nonsense. Heck, even where there isn't such things going on, people protect plates on their walls better.

It looks great, very pleasing even though you yourself have a reservation about people walking by them in pathways etc. Would it be so terrible to say hey, good idea, let's have an option to secure these valuables better. Heck you could make a couple more dollars with such a system. I don't think that is a terrible thing. I personally would secure my machines is all. You could improve your product and your profits/or not.

I really like some of your work, but you don't take a critique very well. Suggesting the need to have your product first hand to deduce any of this is complete BS as well, watching your video and looking at the product was enough for me. That was your suggestion by the way. I also was at the website and looked at the brackets, being saddled or cupped as they are sliding isn't normally and issue.

I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst. It is my wish that you will consider prospective customer views and thoughts in higher regard. Your brackets look to be built well enough and some are quite nice, the ST bracket looked hefty. I would still want a little top end assurance. Having trusted such things in the past has taught me to be careful. Children/Grandchildren/Rowdy guests can be an 'earthquake' in and of themselves, and don't forget pets, etc.

I had considered a top clip initially, however, after completing the designs for all my machines, I deemed it not necessary.  I do acknowledge, through this dialog, that some environments could be more at risk than others.

I don't see how you considered my response as "taking it personally", but everyone to their own interpretation.  All good.

I disagree that side to side movement wouldn't normally be an issue.  If the installer didn't ensure a perfectly level install, there are homes that will vibrate somewhat when people stomp around or rowdy kids horsing around.  These vibrations on a less than level installation (or even a level installation) could cause a machine to "walk" if it weren't "stopped" on either end.  Hence my decision to include that.

Not every mount is created equal due to the nature of the profile of some of the machines (specifically the 1200XL, 800XL, 600XL and for the TI contingent, the TI99/4A).  Those brackets actually lock the machine in such that, it is impossible for them to rotate out.  For those who chose to view the video, they could have noted that in those designs.  In those cases, a top clip would only prevent the machine from lifting out.  Those are impossible to rotate out of their respective brackets.  

For those that could rotate out, I could most certainly entertain designing a retention clip for the top to prevent that from happening... but as mentioned, I honestly didn't see the need for it after completing my designs as I found them to be so stable in their resting positions.  Your concerns have been noted.

Hahahaha, loved your comment re: "children...can be an earthquake in and of themselves".  So true... I also didn't consider pets, so that is indeed a solid point!

So, I do see your position.  Should the "buying public" demand it for their more active environments than I seem to live in, I would certainly consider designing a complimentary clip and anti-rotation stop.  

Thank-you for bringing that to my attention.

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 3