IGNORED

Intellivision Power Ribbon replacement

Hey guys so I'm working on a semi dead intellivision, and the power ribbon well its seen better days, is there a site to buy a replacement, or a is there a known listing on aliexpress?

Side note I have a second intellivision that powers on fine but sits at a black screen. I have reseated the chips, reflowed the cart connectors pins, cleaned the system in my ultrasonic . Only other things I can think of is a recap and replacing the two resistors near the cpu. Is there something else I may be missing?

By 'resistors' you actually mean the pair of 3906 transistors...then yes that is something to look at replacing. You also need to try and verify that the clock is at the right frequency. This can be checked from pin 15 of the color IC chip located at U10. I've found that if that is off by a little then you can also get the black screen condition. To adjust the clock, you just turn the variable cap located at C2 that is below the color IC chip near the crystal. Only minute turns are needed to adjust this however. But I would start by replacing the 3906s and see if that changes anything.

This is of course assuming you have verified all of the voltages are correct from the PSU board per the service manuals...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

By 'resistors' you actually mean the pair of 3906 transistors...then yes that is something to look at replacing. You also need to try and verify that the clock is at the right frequency. This can be checked from pin 15 of the color IC chip located at U10. I've found that if that is off by a little then you can also get the black screen condition. To adjust the clock, you just turn the variable cap located at C2 that is below the color IC chip near the crystal. Only minute turns are needed to adjust this however. But I would start by replacing the 3906s and see if that changes anything.

This is of course assuming you have verified all of the voltages are correct from the PSU board per the service manuals...

Its a moot point atm, waiting on a 6 pin molex to come in need to replace the power ribbon. I read in some post you can snip the 6th pin and it works. Just gotta figure out what wire goes where

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, jukeboxhero10 said:

I just saw this ... damn uh are those original or new? Would you be willing to part with a few?

They aren't 'new' as I bought them locally from an electronics shop here in town. Meaning, they have had them for years. How many I couldn't say but even though these are near identical replacements (these have 6 pins vs the 5 normally needed), they can still start to delaminate after a few bends back and forth so I still have to be careful with them. So essentially I would say they are not only period correct, but very possibly from the same period.