IGNORED

Compiling a new Atari OS...

reifsnyderb

On 4/7/2023 at 10:15 PM, reifsnyderb said:

Atari's XL/XE OS R. 3 has support for testing all of the XE memory but has the exact bug you are talking about.  Atari's source code even has a comment, from an Atari developer, explaining the bug and how to fix it.  But it was never fixed.  It doesn't make sense, really.  But Atari knew about it but never bothered to fix it.  Even Atari's XL/XE OS R. 4 still has this bug and still has the comment about how to fix it.

You're misunderstanding the issue. Only the sources of OS A, OS B, XL OS rev. 2 and CC 01r04 come from Atari. The sources for all the other revisions were my recreations based on disassemblies. The comments that you have metioned were in fact written by myself. Atari knew nothing about the bug.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kr0tki said:

You're misunderstanding the issue. Only the sources of OS A, OS B, XL OS rev. 2 and CC 01r04 come from Atari. The sources for all the other revisions were my recreations based on disassemblies. The comments that you have metioned were in fact written by myself. Atari knew nothing about the bug.

I guess that's what I get for assuming the comments were Atari's.  Thanks for clearing this up.  You did an amazing job of the disassembling and commenting on the code!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 PM, reifsnyderb said:

I am going to call this release OS 6.00.  I wanted to get this out because I tend to alternate projects and I've spent a lot of time on it.

What is not included:

2.  I did not reverse the Option key function as doing so may confuse people. 

Thanks for this release.
Can you tell me where  and what to change the value for the "reverse" OPTION key? (Hope the values is the same as early,  need an address in ROM code where to change) Then I renew checksum using Hias utility.  I want to have this patch.

You can reply in PM if you don't want distribute this trick.

Edited by MVladimir

1 hour ago, MVladimir said:

Thanks for this release.
Can you tell me where  and what to change the value for the "reverse" OPTION key? (Hope the values is the same as early,  need an address in ROM code where to change) Then I renew checksum using Hias utility.  I want to have this patch.

You can reply in PM if you don't want distribute this trick.

Admittedly, I haven't looked into which byte, or bytes, would have to be changed to reverse the Option key.  If there's enough support for it, I'll have the OS reverse the Option key normally. 

8 minutes ago, MVladimir said:

In current OS (R3 or R4 - original) $049F can be changed from F0 to D0 to have "reversed" OPTION key (not pressed) to boot in DOS from disk (or SelfTest w/o DOS)

If $049F is $F0, try with a $D0 and see if it works.  That region of code shouldn't have changed.  However, if something else was changed, that region could have been shifted a little.

4 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

If $049F is $F0, try with a $D0 and see if it works.  That region of code shouldn't have changed.  However, if something else was changed, that region could have been shifted a little.

It seems that in OS 6 the "reverse" OPTION key is in $04B7 - $F0 (hopefully it can be changed to $D0), which roughly corresponds to the similar code in this area in OS 3 and OS 4. Slightly shifted indeed. Thanks for the tip. I'll check tomorrow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MVladimir said:
21 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

It seems that in OS 6 the "reverse" OPTION key is in $04B7 - $F0 (hopefully it can be changed to $D0), which roughly corresponds to the similar code in this area in OS 3 and OS 4. Slightly shifted indeed. Thanks for the tip. I'll check tomorrow.

I tested this patch, it works!!!

The original OS 6 has CRC32: 527A9C88.
OS 6 with patch for "reverse" OPTION key has CRC32: 4F50E675
Only the first checksum is changed since we are changing $04B7 in the first part of ROM ($F0 -> $D0)
Checksums updated with Hias patchrom utility.

• Like 6

Hello !

I know this is a 'me' problem & not a 'you' problem but with my DOS 2.5 I have a ROM to RAM O/S handler (autorun.sys), when in use your OS shows all garbled ( Altirra emulator), whereas w/o it no problems.

Edited by Ricky Spanish
added info

43 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Hello !

I know this is a 'me' problem & not a 'you' problem but with my DOS 2.5 I have a ROM to RAM O/S handler (autorun.sys), when in use your OS shows all garbled ( Altirra emulator), whereas w/o it no problems.

Any chance you can post an ATR of that disk?  Thanks!

@Ricky Spanish

the routine of rom to ram leaves the block at 52224-53247 ($CC00-$CFFF) alone, so any alterations to that area are not moved to ram.

Have you tried no OS to RAM handler and just the Ramdisk?

Have you tried just the OS to RAM handler without the Ramdisk?

last consideration, did you start with a fresh copy so it doesn't try to load part of the old OS mixed with the new one?

That means delete autorun.sys so it can create a new one.

Edited by _The Doctor__

6 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the routine of rom to ram leaves the block at 52224-53247 ($CC00-$CFFF) alone, so any alterations to that area not moved to ram.

Have you tried no OS to RAM handler and just the Ramdisk?

Have you tried just the OS to RAM handler without the Ramdisk?

The rom to ram handler is the problem. Everything else works just fine.

8 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Do you have any instructions, links, etc., about what this is supposed to do?

Thanks!

When you boot it w/ Basic it will say "press reset to enable". 

@Ricky Spanish

I just used standard rev 2 xl os and use rom to ram, then I typed BYE and it crashed Altirra

so it's not just the NEW OS at issue. There is a lack of consideration in regard to the OS being moved and then possibly eating itself

image.png.c5a578662cfa7b5b933703f76ee8a878.png

image.thumb.png.54959e15e99033a40c98817a5cd60669.png

Edited by _The Doctor__

34 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I just used standard rev 2 xl os and use rom to ram, then I typed BYE and it crashed Altirra

Mine works no problem with the emulated 1200XL OS.

Anyways,

OS 6.0 600/800XL emulated, unaltered copy of DOS 2.5 works just fine.