IGNORED

Atari Games on Display or in a Safe?

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I am starting to build a nice collection of Atari items including some rare and pricey games. I keep them in a cool, dry, out-of-the-direct-sunlight type of place but I do worry sometimes about theft and/or fire. This is all assuming that everything else (the family) and everything was fine after a horrible event like this but what about those prized Atari items? What do you think? I love having the games in my home and on display so I and anyone else can see. I am not trying to put a big price tag on my collection nor am I collecting Atari for anything but fun but....I would hate for something to happen to them. :(

KIDS ARE MESSY! :x I just saw the huge mess the three of them made before they left for school. AHHH...the joys of being a Stay-At-Home-Dad!!! :D 8)

This question probably leads back into the many storage discussions (I've started a few of those myself, actually), but I have all my games out to enjoy.

It's worth it to have them accessible, and not merely for the fun of playing them when you want. A week or so ago, someone noted that silver label Gravitars are apparently worth a lot more than the red ones (I have no idea why, however--can someone fill me in?). This weekend when I sat down and spent an hour with Midnight Magic, I thought to check and discovered my Gravitar has a silver label. Obviously I would have never have learned that if I had all my games in some giant safety deposit box.

All that said, I'm currently trying to finish my basement, and my secret reason (unbeknownst to my wife) is that I'm collecting old interlocking cartridge storage units so that I can fill an entire wall with all 330+ of my games when I'm done (can you tell we don't have kids yet?).

Clive

This question probably leads back into the many storage discussions (I've started a few of those myself, actually), but I have all my games out to enjoy.  

It's worth it to have them accessible, and not merely for the fun of playing them when you want. A week or so ago, someone noted that silver label Gravitars are apparently worth a lot more than the red ones (I have no idea why, however--can someone fill me in?). This weekend when I sat down and spent an hour with Midnight Magic, I thought to check and discovered my Gravitar has a silver label. Obviously I would have never have learned that if I had all my games in some giant safety deposit box.

All that said, I'm currently trying to finish my basement, and my secret reason (unbeknownst to my wife) is that I'm collecting old interlocking cartridge storage units so that I can fill an entire wall with all 330+ of my games when I'm done (can you tell we don't have kids yet?).

Clive

SILVER = GOOD!

Anyway, it was offered only through the Atari Club like Crazy Climber, Waterworld and Quadrun. It was later released to the public via the red box series.

Want to sell it? :D

To quote AtariAge:

The silver label version of Gravitar was originally only available to Atari Club members. It was later sold in stores in limited quantities. Atari later released it in the red box and label style in large quantities. The silver label is very desirable to collectors for its rarity and association with the Atari Club.

I don't really recall when I got it--probably 98 or early 99. I found 2 awesome stashes of games that year, with awesome finds galore--all five Avalon Hill games with manuals, Glib, stuff like that. I'll take a wild guess that it was from the same batch that I got my Quadrun from, guessing that if someone bought one exclusive Atariclub game, they'd probably buy the other as well. If that's the case, I got 'em both for $2 a piece! :D 8)

Damn Dolt...sounds like you're the reason we all have a hard time finding some of those rare games. :)

That must've been an awesome find.

My rarest game to date is Tooth Protectors. I bought it from an acquaintance who's dad is a dentist. I got the instructions with it and all(no foam though) plus like 35 other games for $20.

He wants it back now...hehe.

While I do with play with most of my cartridges, I keep them in storage when I am not using them as I worry about dust or someone accidently getting them wet or stepping on them and cracking the case. I don't have anything that is really very rare (I most rare item that I have is a rarity 4) but I want to take care of them as much as possible.

I'm up to 14 Rubbermaid SnapTopper containers. Most are filled, some have gaps for future purchases; each holds exactly 39 Atari 2600 cartridges (and fewer Atari 5200 carts, more Intellivision and Atari 8-bit carts, etc.). 13 have cartridges and one is my extra controller bin.

They're easy to stack and organize and are see-thru so I can line the inside front with a sheet of paper describing the contents ("Atari 2600-Activision", "Atari 2600-Atari 3/Sears", "Atari 7800", etc.) (but I line the other four sides with black construction paper to keep most of the light out).

Here is a side picture and a top view of my 2600 carts stored from a few months ago. I have added a several more boxes since these shots (the Activision stuff is in its own full bin now). :)

Voch

I mentioned earlier that I'm collecting up those interlocking game storage units (officially called Atari Modular Cartridge Libraries if memory serves right).

I should of noted that, heck, if anyone has some they want to sell or trade, drop me a line! I still need about 10 more. For the record, I'm looking for the kind that holds 14 games in 2 rows of 7, with a slot between the rows to hold manuals.

Yup, all mine are on display on a book shelf with a bunch of vintage cart holders stacked on top of that. To me, whats the point if you cant seem all in one giant impressive stack :-)

If I ever get a permanent residence (not an apartment) and it's dark enough I'll make some elaborate shelving system, too. But until then it's stackable plastic storage bins.

i can kinda see the point in protecting things but if you're really thinking about a safe??? unless one of us starts robbing gamers i think your average crimal would just yank your PC and PSX2 and leave the atari carts behind. for me the biggest threat to my collection is my one year old son who loves the sound of falling plastic.

Here is my collection so far. I felt like showing off a little although I know some of you guys have triple or quadruple my collection. Just getting started though. I am going to post two more pics to make sure I show off just as much as I can without being a pest. ;)

This is a china cabinet thing for dishes and it has storage underneath for all or most of my systems, controllers, instructions and stuff. A little girly but it works great and the games are behind glass for now at least. :D