IGNORED

130XE - Powers up and works, but will freeze/not respond after a few minutes

TonyM

As the title says, I have a 130XE that seem, to work fine. Boots up and all but after a few/several minutes it will stop responding to any keystrokes. A reset won't help but if you power it off, wait for 1 min then power it back on, it will begin working again... until it stops responding. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It will stop responding whether you're using it or if it's sitting doing nothing.

Now if this were a modern PC, I'd say heat or RAM related. Not sure how else to diagnose this. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or how I might fix?  Re-solder something? Clean it?

Thanls!

T

@TonyM As XE's are relatively easy to open up I think you best bet is to open the top case and remove the top shielding (if present). Then powered up see if any chips are getting too hot to touch.

Also look at any of the capacitors on the board to see if there are any bulging or leaking ones.

It's highly likely you have some failiing ICs on there. Ram is a common fail point and possibly the 4051 ICs or POKEY since the issue is focused on the keyboard and those chips are involved in keyboard function.

The other thing is that there is a bad solder connection with a chip or component and as it warms and expands the connection is affected somewhere, causing issues.

I guess it's a possiblity also that the keyboard membrane could have a weakness that exhibits over time and only rears it's ugly head after the machine has warmed up a little. I don't think this is likely as I've never come across it or read about it. If there is a break in the mylar tracks anywhere normally it won't make any difference whether the machine has been running or not - it just won't work.

Try the above first and rule out any chips getting too hot or obvious signs of failing caps.

• Like 1

More than likely CPU/RAM issue then possibly a joint issue. Test with a game using joysticks, use a game that has little music at all, then use one that does. At some point the graphics will probably screw up or the sound will. the game may lock up. Try game a cartridge that is a diagnostic cart. Chances are since it's heat related it will be as stated. Pokeys normally present their problem immediately. CPU as it's heating up they show their problems.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@TonyM As XE's are relatively easy to open up I think you best bet is to open the top case and remove the top shielding (if present). Then powered up see if any chips are getting too hot to touch.

Also look at any of the capacitors on the board to see if there are any bulging or leaking ones.

It's highly likely you have some failiing ICs on there. Ram is a common fail point and possibly the 4051 ICs or POKEY since the issue is focused on the keyboard and those chips are involved in keyboard function.

The other thing is that there is a bad solder connection with a chip or component and as it warms and expands the connection is affected somewhere, causing issues.

I guess it's a possiblity also that the keyboard membrane could have a weakness that exhibits over time and only rears it's ugly head after the machine has warmed up a little. I don't think this is likely as I've never come across it or read about it. If there is a break in the mylar tracks anywhere normally it won't make any difference whether the machine has been running or not - it just won't work.

Try the above first and rule out any chips getting too hot or obvious signs of failing caps.

Thanks. Will try this.   May I call you Zaphod?  :)

• Haha 1