IGNORED

400 lid switch replacement?

AndyR

I'm in the process of getting a 400 set up, and while I had the board out on a bench I managed to break the lid switch trying to clamp it closed.  Unfortunately it's the spring strip that snapped, so repair isn't going to be possible.  Obviously one solution would be to just remove it and bridge the connection to be always on, but I'm sort of a purist.

Does anyone know if this is a standard part that can still be sourced, or if there are replacements available somewhere, or if something modern works compatibly enough?

2 hours ago, AndyR said:

Does anyone know if this is a standard part that can still be sourced, or if there are replacements available somewhere, or if something modern works compatibly enough?

This type of switch is commonly called a micro or limit switch, I believe the one Atari used is a SPDT with a short lever, a SPST NO switch with the terminals in the correct locations should also work. I have linked similar switches  at Digikey, but you would need to confirm the operation of the original switch and that the size/pinout match. Height is important, if too tall the lid will be prevented from closing by the actuator rod.

I used Digikey because you can compare the existing switch against the Datasheet, if you find a compatible part you can always search for a less expensive supplier.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/limit-switches/198?s=N4IgjCBcoGwJxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDaIALGGABxwDsIAuoQA4AuUIAyuwE4BLAHYBzEAF9CAJgDMAVkQgUkDDgLEyIGTTAwYMkIW26YABkNaaU0zCnM2nSD37CxkkHIoLoStFjyEJJDkMjAUeoxGYTD0ECwgHFy8gqIS4uJAA