IGNORED

Does Best Electronics sell OEM capacitors?

ACML

I've looked online at Best and they have I.C.s and diodes, but don't see any capacitors listed. Does Brad carry the old OEM capacitors for re-sale?  I know new modern caps are the way to go, just curious. In particular, looking for the big 10,000uF cap in the 1200XL (C060603).

I doubt it, but why in the world would someone want to purchase such a thing? There are just some things that there is absolutely no good reason to order vintage parts for, and capacitors would be at the very top of that list. Not only are there no good reasons to do so, there are many good reasons not to.

Here in the states, Digi-Key is your friend.

1 hour ago, ACML said:

I've looked online at Best and they have I.C.s and diodes, but don't see any capacitors listed. Does Brad carry the old OEM capacitors for re-sale?  I know new modern caps are the way to go, just curious. In particular, looking for the big 10,000uF cap in the 1200XL (C060603).

You also need to know the lead spacing of your old capacitor. It wouldn't hurt if you also overrated the capacitor by going up to 25V. This one might work if the lead spacing is 7.5mm https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/rubycon/25PX10000MEFC18X35-5/3134179

Edited by TZJB

7 minutes ago, ACML said:

The spacing of the OEM (ELNA) 10,000uF is 13.5mm.  I bought a modern replacement (2020 CKEM manufacture) and its' lead spacing is only 7.5-8mm.   See photos.

Shouldn't this be a good replacement?

Assuming the pre-install, non-cut leads are sufficiently long enough, the spacing really shouldn't matter all that much. You should be able to shape the leads as necessary to make a proper fit, then solder in place. Assuming that it fits, and electrical specs are the same or better, you should have no issues using any modern capacitor.

6 minutes ago, ACML said:

The spacing of the OEM (ELNA) 10,000uF is 13.5mm.  I bought a modern replacement (2020 CKEM manufacture) and its' lead spacing is only 7.5-8mm.   See photos.

DSC05755.thumb.JPG.2e402030e5fdf05e9c1b55bf40dad9b4.JPGDSC05756.thumb.JPG.da78350e42edf94f608aef802c4267a1.JPG

Shouldn't this be a good replacement?

The original has 3 leads it seems, the third is for stability. That must be why the lead spacing is so large. The replacement can be made to fit by shaping the wires and will work as intended.

1 hour ago, bob1200xl said:

Digi-Key p/n 493-1093-ND - 10,000ufd @ 35v. Lead spacing is .5", same as Atari.

Bob

Nice!  I just ordered three.  They have essentially the same dimensions as the OEM.  This should pop (solder) right in nice a neat with 12.5mm spacing, rather than trying to fit the smaller one with 7.5mm spacing.

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I doubt it, but why in the world would someone want to purchase such a thing? There are just some things that there is absolutely no good reason to order vintage parts for, and capacitors would be at the very top of that list. Not only are there no good reasons to do so, there are many good reasons not to.

I agree with you, but I've also seen a handful of non-experts claim that modern capacitors are less durable or have worse performance than vintage caps. As far as I can tell, this is just audiophile-grade superstition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I agree with you, but I've also seen a handful of non-experts claim that modern capacitors are less durable or have worse performance than vintage caps. As far as I can tell, this is just audiophile-grade superstition.

My thought has always been that electrolytics are designed with a finite life span regardless. But that caps made 30 years ago do seem to have held up a heck of a lot better vs those made during the cap-apocalypse of the 90s. So I would hope that modern replacements today will hold up as long as those from 30+ years ago have held up.