IGNORED

Sega Genesis console repair

Tidus79001

Does anyone here repair Sega Genesis consoles?

I have 2 consoles that I took out of storage and while with both of the power on they both only show a black screen.  I have tried both the the Sega Genesis AV cable (RCA end) as well as 2 different RF adapters.  Made sure the consoles were set to channel 3 and TV tuned to 3 when using the RF adapters and turned to the correct AV input when using the AV cable.  Also tested multiple games and the TV that I am connecting to is a CRT.  Not sure what this issue is as the both worked last time I used them.  Could just be the capacitors.

• Sega Genesis Model 1 (original launch version with "High Definition Graphics" printed on the case)
  • Sega Genesis Model 1.2 (looks like with launch version but doesn't have "High Definition Graphics" printed on the case)

•  

19 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

Does anyone here repair Sega Genesis consoles?

I have 2 consoles that I took out of storage and while with both of the power on they both only show a black screen.  I have tried both the the Sega Genesis AV cable (RCA end) as well as 2 different RF adapters.  Made sure the consoles were set to channel 3 and TV tuned to 3 when using the RF adapters and turned to the correct AV input when using the AV cable.  Also tested multiple games and the TV that I am connecting to is a CRT.  Not sure what this issue is as the both worked last time I used them.  Could just be the capacitors.

• Sega Genesis Model 1 (original launch version with "High Definition Graphics" printed on the case)
  • Sega Genesis Model 1.2 (looks like with launch version but doesn't have "High Definition Graphics" printed on the case)

•  

I also replied to your PM to me on this. I suggest trying another power supply if you have one. While I understand both consoles power one, that doesn't mean the PSU is providing enough current and could be dropping in voltage enough to prevent the systems from turning on. The fact that you have two different Genesis systems doing the same thing leads me to think the PSU might be the issue.

But as @Starwander also stated, the Genesis will not boot if the cartridges can't be read properly so a good cleaning of the games and cartridge port if possible, would be something else to check real quick.

retensioning the cart port pins, can also help sometimes. I've seen it as more an issue with well-used model 1's, but even had a model 3 recently, needing that adjustment. In the case of the G3, it was black screen, but in tinkering with it, it would attempt to start, if the cart was leaned back a bit in port. 2 rounds of retensioning, and it now works fine. There's several videos on doing this, out there already.