IGNORED

Gyruss

Redcurrie

still make me wonder why the 2600 never got galaga....

I love my 7800 Galaga but I'm afraid that the 2600 wouldn't have done it justice. Galaga was one of my favorite arcade games and I plan to have an arcade version one day. I'd also like a Galaga 3 which I discovered many years later.... :)

Yep.. that was the general consensus of the game back in the day. It's Galaga.. but with a Tempest viewpoint.  And what can you say? It's the truth! :P

What I remember most about it was the almost hypnotic music on the coin-op...it was a pumped up electronic version of a classical tune (I can't remember the tune...I'm sure someone knows). On a semi-related note I once had some dealings with an arcade operator who got into the "biz" after a night of marathon Gyruss playing in a bar. He got interested in coin-op's because of Gyruss , and after that his business just came naturally.

What I remember most about it was the almost hypnotic music on the coin-op...it was a pumped up electronic version of a classical tune (I can't remember the tune...I'm sure someone knows).

It's a techno rock version of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor I believe. And yes you are absolutely right. I often forget when it first hit the arcades and what a new experience it was hearing all this music that was playing. I went home that night telling everyone about this game that has "real music" with drums and everything. :D