IGNORED

Atari KVM POLL

Shift838

Atari KVM  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would a KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse + Audio) switch be useful for Atari Users

• Yes
    • No
    • No Opinion
  2. 2. What would you like to see for video options?

• Composite
    • RGB
    • SVideo
    • Composite/Svideo/RGB
    • No Opinion
  3. 3. Keyboard Inputs

• PS/2
    • USB
    • PS/2 and USB
    • No Opinion
  4. 4. How many Atari's would you like to be able to control

• 4+
    • No opinion

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2023 at 11:59 PM

For video switching you're generally dealing with 1-3 analog and one 0/5V, then 1-2 analog for audio so wouldn't the best option be to just have a port that deals with X inputs and have a breakout cable for each set of inputs and one for the output.

Keyboard - is that needed?  Anything except XEGS has it's own.

The other thing - there's no standard for RGB outputs except if you have Sophia which will likely be DE-15 or DVI or possibly HDMI.  But VBXE over 15 KHz - some use SCART, some use ST DIN-13, mine is a modified DE-15 because I already had a cable that worked with that going to a 1084.  Then there's other possibilities as well (which is part reason I suggested breakout cable)

• Like 1

Being completely straightforward, it's difficult to see how this would be workable.

The main thing is that since every A8 has a keyboard built in (with the XEGS being the lone exception), there's no physical space to save or regain by using a single keyboard accessible by all machines.  It would also require the installation of a TK-II or similar in order for the keyboard to be shareable between machines, which adds cost and complexity.

Sharing a single display is already catered for by any number of video switchers out there, with everything from composite, S-Video, and SCART on up to digital video standards accounted for.  Ditto audio.

It's an interesting idea, but I just don't seem to be seeing the advantages.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Being completely straightforward, it's difficult to see how this would be workable.

The main thing is that since every A8 has a keyboard built in (with the XEGS being the lone exception), there's no physical space to save or regain by using a single keyboard accessible by all machines.  It would also require the installation of a TK-II or similar in order for the keyboard to be shareable between machines, which adds cost and complexity.

Sharing a single display is already catered for by any number of video switchers out there, with everything from composite, S-Video, and SCART on up to digital video formats accounted for.  Ditto audio.

It's an interesting idea, but I just don't seem to be seeing the advantages.

Even further, the XEGS tkII is external, using the original keyboard db socket. So it's the easiest, and cheapest to do today. However, the function buttons are still on the deck, unless you run some jumpers. Nice to be able to sit in my chair, playing at some distance, but you still gotta keep getting up. It already has composite-out via rca jacks, which doesn't look bad.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, zylon said:

Even further, the XEGS tkII is external, using the original keyboard db socket. So it's the easiest, and cheapest to do today.

Which is funny, because one of the things I was thinking of was an XEGS keyboard hanging off of the KVM.

However, the function buttons are still on the deck, unless you run some jumpers.

Not to mention that 1200XLs, 1400XLs, and 1450XLDs also have the L1 / L2 LEDs to take into account as well as the F1-F4 function keys.  From that standpoint, it would make sense to just have one design for all machines that incorporates all buttons and LEDs.

Nice to be able to sit in my chair, playing at some distance, but you still gotta keep getting up.

This is a use case that is 110% understandable.  Even a remote of some sort with just the START, SELECT, OPTION, and RESET buttons would be a huge plus.

Y'know...  That might be able to be attached to the ribbon cable they're connected to the mainboard with, at least on an XL.  Hmm.

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Which is funny, because one of the things I was thinking of was an XEGS keyboard hanging off of the KVM.

Not to mention that 1200XLs, 1400XLs, and 1450XLDs also have the L1 / L2 LEDs to take into account as well as the F1-F4 function keys.  From that standpoint, it would make sense to just have one design for all machines that incorporates all buttons and LEDs.

This is a use case that is 110% understandable.  Even a remote of some sort with just the START, SELECT, OPTION, and RESET buttons would be a huge plus.

Y'know...  That might be able to be attached to the ribbon cable they're connected to the mainboard with, at least on an XL.  Hmm.

it's just momentary click switches, vertical mount on mobo. I have one. If chair's close enough, my toe or a pool cue gets it done.

Still, I just don't see the viability of making a "one-for-all" setup. Better to have a few less complicated setups for the different outliers, than one major board made.

• Like 1

Hello guys

The F1-F4 keys use the matrix already inside the keyboard, so it isn't that hard to add them back in.  Not even in the XEGS keyboard.  Which BTW uses the same keyboard as the other XEs.  Meaning that it might be worth the effort to check if the hardware needed to add the console keys to the XEGS keyboard isn't already present in the keyboard (except of course for the keys themselves).

Sincerely

Mathy

This is the XL matrix:

keyxl.gif.6a1b382af4f4d608e109c8995b9f99ef.gif   keyfadd.gif.e43bf4863550fd237a9b642bf47827bb.gif

And here is where F1-F4 are added into the XE matrix:

keyfadde.gif.702ef11eb99932599c5abd4bab2e3351.gif

Pictures are taken from AtariMax's mirror of Jindroush's site.

Edited by Mathy
Pictures added

There are quite a few options that could be done for all the Atari 8 bits and even the ST if needed.

I just wanted to throw it out there as I already made and produced a RGB switch for use with the Myarc Geneve computer that shares Keyboard, Video, Mouse and Audio.

I could see for the 8 bits, really probably no need for the mouse.  but also with all the different video options from Composite, RGB, Svideo that alone could make a very big switch.  If users like using the actual keyboard that comes with the unit then there would not be a need for a keyboard, but I know (at least on the Geneve world) the keyboards are PC type (XT) and we have PS2 and USB keyboard adapters that myself and others have designed.  The use of one keyboard between up to 4 Geneves is nice as it saves on desk space.  but every computer can be different as many Atari users has ponted out in this thread.  

a video switch would probably be very useful just by itself.  I have tried some various RGB SCART switches and they have not worked like I wanted them to.  Doing a video switch would be pretty simple.

A standard would have to be decided upon.  SCART is good for EU and there are some here in the states but not that many.  For RGB, many standard here in the states is DB9, i think i have even seen standard din8.

something to think on.

• Like 1