IGNORED

Anybody knows how to clean a 130XE and XEGS ?

andy_bernstein

Hello,

I got a 130XE and a XEGS from Ebay but they definitely come from a heavy smoker. Because the XE line is grey / beige, they're not as forgiving with smoke as the XL line. Has anyone of you ever cleaned up a "yellowed" XE system and got good results ? And, if yes, what product did you use ?

AB.

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, you can get rid of some sunburn on Atari cases.

You have to use a chemical to remove the outer layer of the plastic. Just under the surface it will be a much lighter color, though not perfect unless you remove quite a bit.

A rag with a xylene mixture like Goof-Off will disolve the plastic with some rubbing. Wear breathing gear and gloves though, its very nasty stuff.

If you know someone in the printing biz, ask him to give you a little rubber rejuvinator. It's pretty well pure toluene, and that stuff will definitely strip plastic. I've seen it eat styrofoam cups in under a minute.

However, it's an order of magnitude nastier than anything with xylene in it, so breathing gear and lots of ventilation are a definite must.

I haven't got the patience to wait for alcohol to work when I get something that's particularily grimy, so I'll reach for something with a little more chutzpah like lighter fluid or a little bit of solvent. Case yellowing from tobacco is fairly easy to remove with stuff like that, but oxydation takes even more muscle.

I haven't got the patience to wait for alcohol to work when I get something that's particularily grimy, so I'll reach for something with a little more chutzpah like lighter fluid or a little bit of solvent.  Case yellowing from tobacco is fairly easy to remove with stuff like that, but oxydation takes even more muscle.
Mine was only lightly yellowed, and I already had the rubbing alcohol out from a cart cleaning session.

Hello,

I got a 130XE and a XEGS from Ebay but they definitely come from a heavy smoker. Because the XE line is grey / beige, they're not as forgiving with smoke as the XL line. Has anyone of you ever cleaned up a "yellowed" XE system and got good results ?  And, if yes, what product did you use ?

AB.

There nothing to remove, the plastic has actually changed colors, the only way to fix the problem is to order a replacement case from B&C or Best.

I see this mostly in Sun exposure or a desk lamp near the equipment, yes I have seen equipment with nicotine/tar residue build up but the real culprit is usually strong light exposure over long periods of time. However another issue is also heat it seems...

I ran a BBS (Bulletin Board System) pre-Internet days.... for several years and I had 4 810's stacked 2 by 2 for many months until I managed to score a Corvus 10mb HD system.... when I moved the equipment around I found the backs of the 810's (never exposed to ANY light as they were in a desk hutch right out of the boxes) had all yellowed on the top backs, so I believe this was due to 24/7 heat from the boards inside and poor ventilation. So heat can be a factor as well...

Bottom line is there is little cosmetically you can do once the yellowing/discoloring occurs except replace the plastic(s) or consider spraying on a coat of primer and repainting the cases.

Curt