IGNORED

Strike Zone Bowling ( formerly Pro Bowling 2)

easmith

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

This game is sweet on the 2020 VCS. Currently Christmas themed which turned out great.

Question: is there a way to select male or female in the VCS rom? 

Also, is the xmas version something that needs to be patched back to normal or is it baked into the game?

Hi, thanks for the kind words !

The game version should automatically switch back to the regular version after the New Year .   

I am actually not familiar with the new VCS .  That was all set up by Kevin  @KevinMos3, who I worked on the game with . Send him a personal message and I am sure he can help with the male/ female setting.

13 hours ago, Mockduck said:

This game is sweet on the 2020 VCS. Currently Christmas themed which turned out great.

Question: is there a way to select male or female in the VCS rom? 

Also, is the xmas version something that needs to be patched back to normal or is it baked into the game?

They had a Halloween themed version too, it did switch back, but it took them some time.    So if it doesn't switch back after Christmas, they may need to be reminded :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has this been tested on real hardware? I noticed that the game is executing code within bankswitching hotspots. This might not work.

I found out, because for the coming Stella 7.0, to prevent such potential coding errors, we added a check here. For hotspots random values are returned now. Which breaks the game.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Has this been tested on real hardware? I noticed that the game is executing code within bankswitching hotspots. This might not work.

I found out, because for the coming Stella 7.0, to prevent such potential coding errors, we added a check here. For hotspots random values are returned now. Which breaks the game.

The game works on my harmony cart. Co designer Kevin Mosley made a couple of test carts that worked ok. But I certainly want to know about any issues that need to be corrected. I am using same scheme I have used for the other 32k games I made and these have had no issues.  

28 minutes ago, easmith said:

The game works on my harmony cart.

I doubt that the Harmony emulates these details.

Co designer Kevin Mosley made a couple of test carts that worked ok.

Do you know what hardware he was using?

But I certainly want to know about any issues that need to be corrected. I am using same scheme I have used for the other 32k games I made and these have had no issues.  

I am no hardware expert. But what I have learned in the past is, that the hotspot data cannot be reliably read. At least when using original hardware. Originally the bankswitching takes some time and during this period the bank is in an undefined state. It might still work, if the data is identical in all banks, but that's not for sure too. So if you want to create a game that would reliably work using old hardware, you better avoid using any hotspot data. Also your game(s) might not work anymore in future versions of Stella.

In case of this game, the startup vector points to $fff2. The following jump touches $fff4. 

ok thanks.  I will ask about the cart build .

I will have to go back and look at a few things and refresh my memory. I got the code for the startup vectors for 16k from Kurt Howe . I got  advice from him on modifying it for 32 K but was not sure I did it correctly. I asked for clarification but sadly he had passed away . But whatever I did worked (I think) . The other 2 games using same scheme are  Kung Fu Combat 2 and Dark Keep.  Physical carts for kung fu combat work fine on real hardware . 

at any rate , I definitely want the games  to work on newer Stella versions. So I will just need someone to give me the  proper code for the end of the banks . 

48 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just move your initial startup JMP a few bytes, so that it doesn't touch the hotspots. And add the required hotspot access directly before the jump.

E.g. 

Startup  
  bit $fff4 
  jmp Init   

Below is what I have as the code for the end of my banks .  Again, I have not thought about this in a few years , and was trying to modify code I got from NukeyShay ( see bottom of message) , but it works on Real Hardware so far as I can tell. But I am happy to modify it as needed.

End of bank code:

Bank 1  (0) : 

Reset

ORG $1FF2

JMP CLEAN_START                         ; clean start is in bank 1            
    .byte 0,0,0,0,0,0,0

.byte $F2,$1F,0,0

Bank 2 :

org $2F83             ; incoming from bank1 
       rorg $1F83

jsr bank2logic             

ldx $1FF4           ; back to bank 1

ORG $2FF2
     RORG $1FF2
      JMP CLEAN_START
    .byte 0,0,0,0,0,0,0

.byte $F2,$1F,0,0

Bank 3

org $3F93
       rorg $1F93

jsr bank3logic

ldx $1FF4

ORG $3FF2                     ; I do not have RORG here .  Problem?
    JMP CLEAN_START
    .byte 0,0,0,0,0,0,0

.byte $F2,$1F,0,0

Bank 4:
      org $4fA3
     rorg $1fA3

jsr Bank4logic

ldx $1FF4             

ORG $4FF2
     RORG $1FF2
    JMP CLEAN_START
    .byte 0,0,0,0,0,0,0

.byte $F2,$1F,0,0

Similar for banks 5-8 

FROM Kurt Howe :

Same method...only you have to move the JMP instructions 2 bytes lower (in 16k standard banking, the hotspots are $FFF6 to $FFF9).

This string should be the final 12 bytes in all banks to start from the first one.

ORG $FFF4
    JMP Clean_Start
    .byte 0,0,0,0,0
    .word $FFF4
    .word 0

The JMP instruction occupies $FFF4 to $FFF6 in memory, so the program counter trips the hotspot for the first bank when reading the address to jump to.

Just like most banking schemes, the last "word" in each bank can point to BRK interrupts, if you choose.

7 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

While this works on modern hardware and maybe some older hardware, I had negative experiences when developing Thrust. The code is smart and effective and I had the same idea back then. But it is only smart if it works reliable. :) 

I guess we will see :) .    If it crashes on newer Stella versions then I will have to change it , I will just need specific guidance on how to do so in each bank. I am happy to receive edits as needed but could probably not figure it out myself.    I know there is an issue with this code on Flashback Portable for the issues you mentioned I think, but I never was able to change the code as Kurt passed before he could respond to my question.

Thanks again for the heads up and again I am open to getting new code if you are offering  !

35 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This should work for all banks.

ORG $1FEE ($2FEE, $3FEE,... for the other banks)
    RORG $1FEE
Reset 
    BIT $1FF5
    JMP CLEAN_START                         
    ds 8, 0
    .word Reset, 0

Cool I will give it a try . Thanks again .

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This should work for all banks.

ORG $1FEE ($2FEE, $3FEE,... for the other banks)
    RORG $1FEE
Reset 
    BIT $1FF5
    JMP CLEAN_START                         
    ds 8, 0
    .word Reset, 0

This seems to work with BIT $1FF4 instead of $1FF5.   When I said start up was in bank 1  , I meant first bank (0).

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Is there a way to select female or left hand bowler from any of the released roms? How about a special 3 pack ?

Female yes .  TV type to BW.

Left handed no sorry.

• Like 1