IGNORED

Sophia 2 audio question

V-Cool

Hey all, I got my Sophia 2 and ordered one of these to convert DVI to HDMI because that's the input that my monitor uses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265970332689

My plan was to use also my Composite audio cable from Best Electronics at this link:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/Atari CV E2 cable.htm

I was going to plug the audio outs from that into the the Starlink converter and the HDMI to my monitor to carry both audio and video.

Well, it turns out my monitor doesn't have audio outputs so instead I assume I need to find some tiny speakers with RCA inputs to plug into instead.  I'm just wanting something small and super basic but the ones I'm finding don't have RCA inputs but use USB or 3.5MM.  

So, should I buy a cable converting the RCA to 3.5MM and use one of those or is there something simpler I'm not thinking of?

Thanks all!

Edited by V-Cool

DVI and HDMI are signal compatible, so all you need is a simple inexpensive DVI-HDMI cable.  You can also get the short adapters, but I find the cable versions to be better due to strain on the connectors.  For audio, simply going from dual RCA to a 3.5mm stereo is easy too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panther said:

DVI and HDMI are signal compatible, so all you need is a simple inexpensive DVI-HDMI cable.  You can also get the short adapters, but I find the cable versions to be better due to strain on the connectors.  For audio, simply going from dual RCA to a 3.5mm stereo is easy too.

Just to add the audio adapter mentioned works very well. 

However just a note. The DVI to hdmi cable option is something I tried with my TV monitor and the TV didn't pick up on most of Sophia 2's output resolutions. As soon as I replaced the cable with a straight forward DVI to DVI it worked with all. 

Maybe a quirk of my LG digital tv/monitor but worth noting. At the time I thought it was a Sophia 2 cable/install issue. BTW latter is an LG flatiron M227WD. Amazing all round display I use for everything.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Possibly in DTV mode it might ignore some - for DTV there's only really 480, 576, 720 and 1080 with a mix of i and p.

A monitor will generally accept almost anything so long as it's within the range it's capable of.

I have to say again though, using VGA analog, and DVI output among several monitors I was surprised and glad to see that my Sophia 2 worked in practically every configuration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, kevin34ct said:

Can you still use the audio out from the monitor cable?  I have Monitor cable to composite video with audio out.  Can I still use the audio out from the monitor cable with the Sophia 2 DVI?

yes, that is what I do.
You can also output the video at the same time and have two screens. Pointless, but you can :)