IGNORED

Drone Patrol [Release Candidate 5]

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Drone Patrol on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

Thanks for playing Drone Patrol last night, James!  I now know of a few changes that need to be made, and it was great watching someone else play.  There are a few spelling errors in the mission briefing and a high score bug in the easter egg mini-game, and those are easy fixes.  They'll be corrected in the next update.

As promised attached is the ZeroPage Homebrew logo source code and graphics I used for the special version of the game used on the ZPH broadcast.  Anyone is welcome to use this for a future project, I just thought it would be cool to add for the show.  It won't be in the final release of the game.

zeropage_logo.tar zeropage_logo.a78

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

Thanks for playing Drone Patrol last night, James!  I now know of a few changes that need to be made, and it was great watching someone else play.  There are a few spelling errors in the mission briefing and a high score bug in the easter egg mini-game, and those are easy fixes.  They'll be corrected in the next update.

You're so welcome, such an amazingly fun game especially the awesome boss fights! Glad we were able to find a few bugs in the game! Looking forward to playing it again in the future!

5 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

As promised attached is the ZeroPage Homebrew logo source code and graphics I used for the special version of the game used on the ZPH broadcast.  Anyone is welcome to use this for a future project, I just thought it would be cool to add for the show.  It won't be in the final release of the game.

zeropage_logo.tar 32.5 kB · 2 downloads zeropage_logo.a78 32.13 kB · 3 downloads

It's was an honour to see the ZPH logo in your game, thank you so much for putting it in the version we showed on the stream and for sharing the code for others to use if they like!

- James

This version makes another difficulty change.  On the easy and standard difficulty levels, the second stealth plane that moved from left to right was removed from Boss 8.  

I also added paddle support to the Drone Bomber game.  Playing with a paddle makes the game SO much more fun! :D

On the Drone Bomber menu, you'll see a new option available that displays "activate paddle".  Press the fire button on that option and it will change to "paddle active".  After the screen displays "paddle active", it will display a message that you must exit the game in order to re-activate the joystick.  If you press the paddle button while you're on the "paddle active" menu option, the game will reset to the Drone Patrol main menu and re-enable the joystick (the same as choosing the "exit" option).  Once the menu says "paddle active" unplug the joystick and plug in the paddles. The menu will now be navigable by spinning the paddle to get to the different options (start, exit, instructions, and controller selection).  Spin it until you see "start game" to start.  This unfortunately ruins the game's couch compliance, but it's worth getting up for!

Note that the instructions screen itself once loaded is not navigable with the paddle, you'll only be able to view and exit from the first page.  Also, the menu option that's visible on-screen is based on the hardware location of the paddle wheel.  It might immediately move to a different menu option when you plug in the paddle, and when the game ends the first menu option you see will be based on wherever your paddle is located in its rotation.  You might see any of the four options first.  When you exit Drone Bomber to the main menu of the game, the joystick is automatically re-enabled.

Because of the addition of paddle control the game as it was previously was much too easy.  I ramped up the difficulty to accommodate the paddle controls by increasing the speed progression, changing the movement pattern of the enemy mega-drone that drops the bombs, adding two additional levels, and reducing the size of the drones. This makes the game a lot more fun with the paddle, but as a consequence makes it much more difficult with the joystick.  Now that it's in-place, I highly recommend playing Drone Bomber with the paddle controller, although you can use either.

Drone Bomber been tested on real hardware and works as expected, although it was only about 10 minutes of testing.  On the technical side, in order to accommodate paddle control I had to relocate the plotsprite4 code as I was out of space in the 7800basic reserved area.  That immediately broke the Music Player, which I've fixed.  I'm hoping it didn't mess anything else up, but it shouldn't have.  I will need to do some more testing of the main game just to make sure. 

Edit:  The next post has the latest update that fixed I bug I found in this release.

• Like 2

See the previous post for details on this release.

This fixes the issue with trying to switch back and forth between the paddle and joystick within the drone bomber game.  In this version, once you select the paddle it's set for that session of drone bomber - deactivating it will reset to the Drone Patrol main menu and automatically revert back to joystick control.

drone_patrol_v81_RC3.a78 drone_patrol_v81_RC3.bin

• Like 2

I love the concept of the game, maybe it is just me, i suggest perhaps that when the other bogeys are on the screen that perhaps we can shoot at and defeat them and they spawn a little after that in the levels. I don't know how much reprogramming that would take, but it occurred to me that I can shoot the big target and its fun enough trying not to get hit by that, but then I have these other enemies that are shooting me and I can't defeat "shoot" them.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:20 PM, phantomthrill said:

I love the concept of the game, maybe it is just me, i suggest perhaps that when the other bogeys are on the screen that perhaps we can shoot at and defeat them and they spawn a little after that in the levels. I don't know how much reprogramming that would take, but it occurred to me that I can shoot the big target and its fun enough trying not to get hit by that, but then I have these other enemies that are shooting me and I can't defeat "shoot" them.

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks for sharing your opinion.  At this stage of development it would be very difficult to add that in due to RAM and ROM constraints, as well as how I've balanced the difficulty in the boss battles.  At this point the gameplay is set.  I'm not going to be making any more changes, I'm just focused on bugfixes now.

I mentioned in a previous post that I had relocated the plotsprite4 assembly code and that did in fact cause an issue that I just caught.  It only affected the easter egg/hidden game, and it's been fixed. 

drone_patrol_v82_RC4.a78 drone_patrol_v82_RC4.bin

• Like 2

RevEng just shared a RMT playback fix that allows for the music that H3xaFli6ht created to be played at the proper PAL speed, this version includes that fix.  I also changed the menu system for Drone Bomber once the paddle is activated.   After activating the paddle, only the "start" and "exit" options are available, and exiting the game to the Drone Patrol main menu will automatically re-enable the joystick.  Spin the paddle to select start or exit.  The instructions option is only available when the joystick is active, and of course once you activate the paddle the option to activate it is also removed from the menu.

I played Drone Bomber with the paddle for a while again today and it works great.  I should have put paddle support in there from the very beginning!  

drone_patrol_v84_RC5.a78 drone_patrol_v84_RC5.bin

• Like 2