IGNORED

1200XL Boot Issues

hueyjones70

My 1200XL has suddenly developed boot problems. If I insert a cart and turn the computer on, I get a buzz like the one you would get if you were trying to load a cassette.  Occasionally, the cart will boot but not very often.  Also, If I press option and turn the computer on, it shows the Self Test screen as it should. If I press select, the self test jumps to the audio voice test.  If I press help, the self test menu screen flashes for a split second and the computer goes directly to the memory test. This computer has the 800XL/OnniviewXL operating system and a BASIC chip.  I haven't taken it apart to see if the OS chip has gone bad or if maybe SALLY is acting up.

Can you get the ROM/RAM self test to run (800XL OS)?  If so, and the two ROM bars are green, it's probably elsewhere.  Is your SALLY a Rockwell (-12)?  If so and you have a non Rockwell SALLY, try the swap and see if that works.  This past 18 months, I've had to replace two Rockwell SALLYs because of booting issues with cartridges.

After the RAM test completes, the program stops. I just tried a couple of things and this time Ms PAC MAN, SPACE INVADERS, AND MINER 2049ER all loaded. POLE POSITION would not boot. I loaded my ATARIWRITER PLUS 80 column version and it loaded the menu screen but would not respond to any other inputs.  I loaded DOS 2.5, got a menu screen and tried to load a program; got a "file not found" error. Tried to get a disk directory and I got a row of hearts.

I have a 512K memory upgrade v 4.5 installed.