IGNORED

ATARI 810 Problem. Spinning bad voltages.

SviRu

Hi guys. I bought 3 810. Only one works. The second one is spinning the disc all the time.

It has 10V on the output of the 12v regulator. 12V in on that regulator. Compared to other units it should be around 20v.

5v reg also is very low on input. Around 7.5v.

This is one of the newer design drives.

Can someone point me in a right direction? 

7 minutes ago, SviRu said:

Hi guys. I bought 3 810. Only one works. The second one is spinning the disc all the time.

It has 10V on the output of the 12v regulator. 12V in on that regulator. Compared to other units it should be around 20v.

5v reg also is very low on input. Around 7.5v.

This is one of the newer design drives.

Can someone point me in a right direction? 

From SAMS 810 repair manual:-

image.thumb.png.7dce956f9ab0319f56d51e4d2bf54190.png

A low voltage could be caused by a failure of a single diode in the bridge rectifier which would cause only half-wave rectification. Check all power diodes on the analog board with an ohmmeter, one will have failed for sure.

9 minutes ago, TZJB said:

From SAMS 810 repair manual:-

image.thumb.png.7dce956f9ab0319f56d51e4d2bf54190.png

A low voltage could be caused by a failure of a single diode in the bridge rectifier which would cause only half-wave rectification. Check all power diodes on the analog board with an ohmmeter, one will have failed for sure.

I have takei it apart. Fired up power board without any other boards. Pin 1 and 2 connected from the power switch. now there is proper voltage. 28V on 12v regulator 12v out. 5v also is good. It mus be something down the chain. Maybe the daughterboard.

7 hours ago, SviRu said:

I have takei it apart. Fired up power board without any other boards. Pin 1 and 2 connected from the power switch. now there is proper voltage. 28V on 12v regulator 12v out. 5v also is good. It mus be something down the chain. Maybe the daughterboard.

If the drive spindle motor is dirty, it may cause a very heavy load on a 12V rail. As a result, the voltage may drop significantly. And when 12V rail drops voltage, the 5V rail may be under loaded (it's powered from 7812 output). So - i bet your problem is the mech itself, it's the motor. I had such a case in one of 1050s. 

1 hour ago, Peri Noid said:

If the drive spindle motor is dirty, it may cause a very heavy load on a 12V rail. As a result, the voltage may drop significantly. And when 12V rail drops voltage, the 5V rail may be under loaded (it's powered from 7812 output). So - i bet your problem is the mech itself, it's the motor. I had such a case in one of 1050s. 

I have swapped boards between 810s. Motor was not spinning all the time liek before. It stopped, one light went down. Head moved back and forth. But there is no communication with atari after puting a disk inside. Two of 810s do this now. They spin and then stop. That's it. Idk where to look further. It might be the sideboard. Most probably. 

why did we swap boards and break another 810? You needed to do some rudimentary DMM tests the motor and stepper on the bad 810's mech and then if it checked out(no shorting etc), put that mech on a known good board set, that would have told you it was the mech without the chance of adding other unknowns. Swapping the boards around without knowing what you are pairing it up with can lead to damaging the components on the good boards.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why did we swap boards and break another 810? You needed to do some rudimentary DMM tests the motor and stepper on the bad 810's mech and then if it checked out(no shorting etc), put that mech on a known good board set, that would have told you it was the mech without the chance of adding other unknowns. Swapping the boards around without knowing what you are pairing it up with can lead to damaging the components on the good boards.

You are right. I think my knowledge ends here. Thus will seek help with someone who knows more. Looking for a person in EU who can really fix this things.

11 hours ago, SviRu said:

Does anybody know what is going on in here? Those custom wires added? Was it from factory?

810_01.jpg

IMG_20230325_215223.jpg

This is definitley not factory wiring. Can you post a picture of the top of the board it may be a Happy modification (Archiver - The Chip).

1 hour ago, SviRu said:

You are right. I think my knowledge ends here. Thus will seek help with someone who knows more. Looking for a person in EU who can really fix this things.

Sorry we could not help you resolve this further. Did you check whether the diodes were working as off-load voltages may appear okay.

Talk to Jurgen van Radecke @tf_hh about your repair problem. He is in Germany. It is normally best to email him.

See this document for more information: http://www.van-radecke.de/STUFF/tfhh_HW_info.pdf. Jurgen does do repairs as well as his tinker projects.

9 hours ago, SviRu said:

I have swapped boards between 810s. Motor was not spinning all the time liek before. It stopped, one light went down. Head moved back and forth. But there is no communication with atari after puting a disk inside. Two of 810s do this now. They spin and then stop. That's it. Idk where to look further. It might be the sideboard. Most probably. 

No communication means usually a broken input buffer. I don't have a schematics open now but I bet its there. 

Write ma a pm, I'll tell you whom to ask in Poland. 

2 hours ago, TZJB said:

This is definitley not factory wiring. Can you post a picture of the top of the board it may be a Happy modification (Archiver - The Chip).

Sorry we could not help you resolve this further. Did you check whether the diodes were working as off-load voltages may appear okay.

Talk to Jurgen van Radecke @tf_hh about your repair problem. He is in Germany. It is normally best to email him.

See this document for more information: http://www.van-radecke.de/STUFF/tfhh_HW_info.pdf. Jurgen does do repairs as well as his tinker projects.

thanks! i will contact him

7 hours ago, TZJB said:

top_810.jpg

it is probably an eprom and the blue masking tape is trying to cover the erase window, though that tape isn't enough.

Jokingly he is creating a 'masked' rom....   I know, I know, such geeky tech humor should not be allowed!

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it is probably an eprom and the blue masking tape is trying to cover the erase window, though that tape isn't enough.

Jokingly he is creating a 'masked' rom....   I know, I know, such geeky tech humor should not be allowed!

heh :) I will fix it. No matter how much time it takes I know I fill figure it out. I think PIA/RIOT is damaged. I will change it first.