IGNORED

SOIO2SD game saves and filenames

V-Cool

I have tried reading tips in different places and am still having trouble with the following using my SIO2SD.  I tried searching for answers but thought I would ask you all directly.

1 I'm playing a game and need to save progress.  How do I do this?  

2 How do I change the display where I can see the entire filename?  The right side is cutoff.  I found a post that supposedly contained the answer but I wasn't seeing the right thing to do.

Thanks!

Game saves to disk generally go to a portion of a blank disk or one prepared by the game itself - so in the case of SIO2SD you'd start with a blank or copied disk image.

You'd usually need to change the mounted image from the game ATR to the one you want to save to.

Individual XEX type files can be loaded but not written to.

32 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Game saves to disk generally go to a portion of a blank disk or one prepared by the game itself - so in the case of SIO2SD you'd start with a blank or copied disk image.

You'd usually need to change the mounted image from the game ATR to the one you want to save to.

Individual XEX type files can be loaded but not written to.

So, I put the game I'm playing in position 1 and hook up a 1050 with a blank disc?  Wouldn't the 1050 then be in position 1 since there isn't an SIO out on the SIO2SD?

The device ID is set by the switch positions on the back of the 1050, if you do this

both SIO2SD will be Drive 1 so it won't work.

The 1050 would have to be set to D2: in which case, your save files won't go there unless the game offers

a different drive to D1:

Do what @Rybags says

the SIO daisy chain does not assign it's ID number by a devices location in the chain. You can put the devices for the most part in any order physically and then set the ID switches to whatever number you choose.

Some devices prefer to be closer to the Atari as they need SIO power or have weak drive on transmit or receive difficulties. You can put those devices closest on the daisy chain and still assign them other ID's

6 hours ago, V-Cool said:

I have tried reading tips in different places and am still having trouble with the following using my SIO2SD.  I tried searching for answers but thought I would ask you all directly.

1 I'm playing a game and need to save progress.  How do I do this?  

2 How do I change the display where I can see the entire filename?  The right side is cutoff.  I found a post that supposedly contained the answer but I wasn't seeing the right thing to do.

Thanks!

2. Do it the Atari or MS-DOS way and use only 8.3 filenames, so the whole filename will fit on the 16 char. display of the SIO2SD. If there is a key (or key combo) to scroll the full filename and show the rest of the cutoff filename, then I do not remember it...  (luckily all my ATR images do have funny 8.3 filenames).

1. With SIO2SD setup two drives, e.g. D1: with your gamedisk and D2: with your  savedisk; first boot the gamedisk, then when you want to save, just swap D1: with D2: which can be done with a keypress, afaik.