IGNORED

Why is this one different from my others?

Pipster

I know very little about them but I have 5 2600 'woodys' in various conditions but this one is different from the others, i have been wondering for a while why, can anyone tell me please? It has yellow piping instead of orange and was made in Sunnyvale while the others were made in Hong Kong. I'm sure there are are hundreds of variations out there but maybe you can help me. I'm in the UK if that helps.

post-3562-1065208879_thumb.jpg

I thought the yellow piping was used on the Promo model 2600 units? That being the case I also thought there was a sticker or a stamp on the bottom of the unit marking it as a Promo model?

Be that as it may...he does appear to have a Heavy Sixer there and with a fairly low SN on it too...

Also, it could just be yellow because that particular model was painted when the red paint was out...hehe...

:D

It's no different physically from any of the others other than the piping though.

Weight and the front is more curved if that makes sense. The part that shapes like a long u in the front of the system where the wood is, that part is different. Also, it is older than the rest! :)

Collectors would usually take one of these over another if given a choice. 8)

Be that as it may...he does appear to have a Heavy Sixer there and with a fairly low SN on it too...

:D

I didn't even notice the low SN, but then I got mine out. I have one that doesn't work too well but could be repaired by someone more knowledgable than me :) It's in pretty nice cosmetic condition, just needs cleaned. Anyway mine is 16796 H and is a white label.

he does appear to have a Heavy Sixer there and with a fairly low SN on it too...

I don't think that serial # is very low...at least, not as I understand the serial number format on heavy-sixers. It's actually quite high--(U).

I didn't realize that but now it makes sense. So, this could be the first one "00001 A" Well, I guess mine isn't that low either than with the H.

Only the original heavy sixer was manufactured in Sunnyvale.  i have one that was manufactured overseas.

The Sunnyvale 6er is the cream of the crop. :D

So, if it has the word "Sunnyvale" on the sticker than it is made there? Mine has "MFG. by Atari, INC Sunnyvale, CA". It is definately heavier with the distinctive casing.

A "heavy sixer" was the only 2600's made here in the USA, in Sunnyvale.

Some 'Light-Sixers' and 4 switch models were made in Sunnyvale too.

I didn't realize that but now it makes sense. So, this could be the first one "00001 A" Well, I guess mine isn't that low either than with the H.

Actually, as I understand it, 000001 (without a letter suffix) would be the first.

I didn't know that, don't hear much about those.  Are they more desireable like the original or not much interest in those.

I don't know if they are more desirable. Honestly, I don't think they're even that rare. Two of my 4-switchers were made in Sunnyvale. Both use a 'light-sixer' bottom with the original joystick ports covered by a thin piece of plastic. Of course, these features alone don't identify a Sunnyvale 4-switch. I also have 4-switchers made overseas that use a light-sixer bottom with a plastic covering over the original joystick ports.