IGNORED

I made a prettier Gopher

glurk

Because I was bored, I took the US Games "Gopher" disassembly by @DEBRO and modified it to use the "early HMOVE" technique to get rid of that unsightly black gap.  But using early HMOVE throws off everything below it by 8 pixels, so I had to correct all of that.  I think I did it all correctly.

Anyway, I think it looks better now.

Gopher.bin

Edited by glurk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I bought this game for $5 at the grocery store when I was a kid. It's a simple game but it's pretty fun. It's also a little therapeutic hitting the gopher in the head. 

Your revised screen looks really good. Could you put the original screen up beside it?

7 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Should probably be posting this in the Atari 2600 Hacks subforum.

I should have, but I actually didn't intend to do a "Gopher" hack.  It started out as a programming challenge just to eliminate the HMOVE bar, and turned into an update / hack version.  But (IMO) the new color scheme makes it look almost like a new game, and I'm rather happy with it.  So, updated color version:

Gopher.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I was just digging around on old PC, came across the source code to this, so I'll add it.  I have no memory of what I did here, LOL....  But this source does assemble to the working color-enhanced title-screen hack version.  The source hacking is mostly an uncommented mess of the original nice disassembly.

gopher.zip

• Like 2

13 hours ago, glurk said:

I was just digging around on old PC, came across the source code to this, so I'll add it.  I have no memory of what I did here, LOL....  But this source does assemble to the working color-enhanced title-screen hack version.  The source hacking is mostly an uncommented mess of the original nice disassembly.

gopher.zip 20.86 kB · 5 downloads

Maybe you‘re interested in a little additional challenge: do a PAL version of your great work!? ☺️

14 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Maybe you‘re interested in a little additional challenge: do a PAL version of your great work!? ☺️

Here's the thing.  I've made the source code available.  Changing all of those color values and re-assembling the game is TRIVIAL.  Absolutely anyone can do it, it doesn't even require being a programmer...

However, it's a bit of work and effort, and I don't even HAVE a PAL system, I am in NTSC land.  So, maybe it would be better as a project for someone that has a PAL system, and thus has the motivation to spend the time on it....

• Like 1