IGNORED

Simple: Will retrobright (3% peroxide) damage the aluminum trim pieces on XL-series cases?

SlagOMatic

I suspect any oxidant could potentially make aluminium go more grey/cloudy and not look very nice.  Could also react with the branding/text.

Maybe test on a scrap piece.  Drink can probably wouldn't be much good since they usually have a coating.

peroxide can damage aluminum and the other metals used to make badges and buttons, it can also damage glues as well a numbers of elastomers.

it does create AL203 which is the grey Rybags mentioned, it also can react with impurities/coatings giving a cloudy look, Most Atari stuff cleans up very well using an assortment of baby wipes and paper towels, the Aluminum parts on the Atari that are brushed aluminum can even react over time to the PH of you sweat and oil on your fingers, so give them a wipe every now and then.

Possibly, I've got away with it on some by masking off the trim, but on one (maybe I left it on too long) it definitely damaged the badge of an 800xl

*All at your own risk *

Edited by mimo

Most of the trim is attached to the brown plastic areas which do not require Peroxide treatment and are commonly detachable (although some XLs have the brown plastic bezel glued on). It's easy to avoid getting Peroxide (if painted on in creme form) on trim attached to the brown components regardless. The badge should be masked off or - if you're capable of doing do without causing damage - carefully removed and then reattached afterwards.