IGNORED

Make a new mylar for your Atari CX77 Touch Tablet with a Cricut.

SlagOMatic

My Atari Touch Tablet still has its original mylar, and at ~40 years old it's seen better days. Once upon a time (like, 30+ years ago) I attempted to cut a new one out by hand using a straight edge and an XActo knife but the results were less than spectacular. Today, however, we have the Cricut and similar machines, and making a new mylar is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

If you have a Cricut, I've shared the project here:

https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/6428f17cce4034b5f17aea4d

If you don't have a Cricut, or if for some reason the Cricut URL isn't working any more, you should be able to import the SVG and/or AI file which is on my Dropbox account here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n36drexs0zgf8fq/atari-cx77-touch-tablet-mylar.zip

I used this 4mil mylar (which matches the original mylar) from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Stencil-Material-Template-Stencils/dp/B07QV7J5CV

Use the Cricut's "mylar" setting and mount the new mylar sheet on a "standard grip" mat when cutting. Works perfectly.

CX77-before.jpg

CX77-after.jpg

Edited by SlagOMatic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Very nice. I had the same issue with my old mylar, and with all my XL equipment restored and new looking it was frustrating having the "foggy" scratched up mylar on my touch tablet, so I made a practice of keeping it under the touch tablet and only pulling it out when using it. 

Eventually I made a new one myself with an extra sheet of mylar I found I had laying around that was large enough. I think it was actually used to protect the screen of a monitor or maybe over some glass. I forget except that it was used essentially as protective packing material for something I purchased. I used the old mylar as a pattern and traced it's shape with a sharpie and then just used my trusty old utility scissors to cut on the "dotted" line, including the tabs that slide into the slots on the touch tablet.

Now, I keep the new mylar protected with Armour-all which also makes it quite slick as you would probably know, which keeps a repeat of stylus scratches and eventual "foggy" mylar occurring. At least so far for about a year now it still looks good with light but regular use.

Edited by Gunstar