IGNORED

If Coleco had come out with 5200 versions of its titles which ones would you get?

BIGHMW

Just like the thread title states, hey, since Atari originally designed (and almost released, under their newly-penned-up moniker, Atarisoft) some of its titles for ColecoVision, like Pac-Man, Centipede, and Dig Dug, if Coleco had returned the favor, which games would YOU have wanted to see released by them for the 5200 (not including Zaxxon as it was released officially by Sega in 1985 in 16K form and later by AtariAge in an improved 32K form, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior don't count because the A8 versions would eventually be ported over years later, and Venture and Omega Race also don't count either, since Video 61/Atari Sales has already done the honors with their great versions of those two titles, those being Venture and the renamed Delta Space Arena, in which pretty much is their version of Omega Race).

Here are mine:

Space Fury

Pepper II

Cosmic Avenger

Mouse Trap

LadyBug

WarGames (Coleco DID do an A8 version of this game inspired by the 1983 movie but it was considered too powerful for the 5200's limitations)

Edited by BIGHMW

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

Eh, they were too busy screwing up the Coleco Adam. No time to do any favors.

SHE-AH!!! Good call Garth!!! (closet Wayne's World fan here, even have the original VHS I converted onto DVD and did have Wayne's World 2 in which while it was good fell kinda flat compared to the original.) No wonder why Coleco bit the dust well before Atari ever did. The ADAM was a mere Atari XL/XE wannabe/never-will-be

Obviously Donkey Kong and Jr.  Games like Pepper II, Lady Bug, Mousetrap and Venture are a lot of fun.  Burgertime is one of my favorites, so I would have wanted that one. Mr Do! is another favorite of mine, so I would have wanted that one.  But given the horrible rush jobs they did porting their games to the Intellivision and 2600, they probably would have sucked.

8 hours ago, christo930 said:

Obviously Donkey Kong and Jr.  Games like Pepper II, Lady Bug, Mousetrap and Venture are a lot of fun.  Burgertime is one of my favorites, so I would have wanted that one. Mr Do! is another favorite of mine, so I would have wanted that one.  But given the horrible rush jobs they did porting their games to the Intellivision and 2600, they probably would have sucked.

For Mr. Do! you'd probably want a port of the Datasoft Atari 8-bit version rather than the Coleco version.   It's nearly arcade perfect!

• Like 2

I'm surpised Coleco hadn't tried to make 5200 games like they did for the 2600 & INTV, especially it's dead easy to bypass the Atari copyright screen.

Hell even Atari made ColecoVision games under their AtariSoft label... 

• Like 2

Most of the best Colecovision games were third-party titles anyway, so probably not many. Especially considering Coleco's mixed track record on non-Coleco platforms. But I think Turbo could have been pretty nifty, given it normally/ideally uses an analog control. Could have played really well with the analog joystick, or the Trak Ball as a pseudo-steering wheel. Or maybe Time Pilot, for similar reasons; that game seems like it would adapt well to an analog control interface. Front Line would have filled something of a gap in the Atari 5200 library.

At the same time, except for Venture for Intellivision, none of Coleco's cross-platform games indicate to me that anything they might have done for the 5200 would have been particularly worthwhile anyway.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

SHE-AH!!! Good call Garth!!! (closet Wayne's World fan here, even have the original VHS I converted onto DVD and did have Wayne's World 2 in which while it was good fell kinda flat compared to the original.) No wonder why Coleco bit the dust well before Atari ever did. The ADAM was a mere Atari XL/XE wannabe/never-will-be

The Adam has some cool features the XL/XE was lacking.  Though Adamnet was basically the SIO port of its day, the keyboard is quite nice, and it had some internal expansion slots! 

The terrible thing was to use the printer as the power supply... wtf were they thinking?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Space Fury

Pepper II

Cosmic Avenger

Mouse Trap

LadyBug

WarGames (Coleco DID do an A8 version of this game inspired by the 1983 movie but it was considered too powerful for the 5200's limitations)

Huh, I would think the 5200 could do WarGames.  I still want to port something to the 5200, feels like it was just so underutilized.

44 minutes ago, leech said:

For sure.  Though it would be better with the composite out that the Adam has.

Well, I meant producing new consoles too -- and producing new game titles.

The Adam is actually a pretty interesting system (I was watching some reviews about it a few days ago). They just weren't able to pull things off as intended. Although the tape drives were taking things in the wrong direction (disk drives were the way to go), I still find them an interesting piece of hardware -- since they were more than a typical data cassette system. I suppose using the data cassettes was also a means of keeping cost for the system down.

15 hours ago, leech said:

The Coleco Adam is the weirdest computer I own. 

As the owner of a few oddballs, myself (including PET 2001, ZX80, TRS-80 Model II, Aquarius, and TI-99/4a), I think I have to agree. 

15 hours ago, MrFish said:

They should have stuck to consoles. The ColecoVision is cool.

In a world where the Adam didn't happen, one would hope at least the Adam versions of Donkey Kong and Zaxxon (among others) would have found their way to the Colecovision somehow. The Colecovision versions of those games feel a little light after playing the Adam versions.

13 hours ago, MrFish said:

Although the tape drives were taking things in the wrong direction (disk drives were the way to go), I still find them an interesting piece of hardware -- since they were more than a typical data cassette system. I suppose using the data cassettes was also a means of keeping cost for the system down.

100%! Not too many other systems used stringy floppies as their standard media (did any?); that alone makes the Adam kind of a wild experience!

What gets me is on Youtube you have so called 5200 owners reviewing "Donkey Kong for the 5200" when in fact its the 8 bit port. Anyone who knows anything about the 5200 knows that Donkey Kong was never an official release (unless you have a 2600 adapter and play the 2600 version of it lol).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

In a world where the Adam didn't happen, one would hope at least the Adam versions of Donkey Kong and Zaxxon (among others) would have found their way to the Colecovision somehow. The

In a world where Adam didnt happen, Atari would have entered their partnership with Nintendo, would have been a colossal powerhouse in the 80's, 90's and beyond. It was the fact that Coleco ported Donkey Kong to Adam is what pissed Atari exec off at the time and negated the Nintendo deal. The rest is history as they say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

In a world where Adam didnt happen, Atari would have entered their partnership with Nintendo, would have been a colossal powerhouse in the 80's, 90's and beyond. It was the fact that Coleco ported Donkey Kong to Adam is what pissed Atari exec off at the time and negated the Nintendo deal. The rest is history as they say.

Almost. Coleco was using the Colecovision version of Donkey Kong to demonstrate the Adam's Colecovision compatibility at CES, and Atari mistook that for an Adam/computer port and a violation, on Nintendo's part, of their licensing agreement. Nintendo didn't know Coleco was going to be doing this, and the three groups met afterward and smoothed things over. Unfortunately, Ray Kassar had recently been doing a little insider trading and was forced to resign before the deal was finalized, leaving Nintendo in the lurch. From Nintendo's viewpoint, the deal was dead, and the Famicom was doing well enough in Japan to merit taking their chances in North America on their own.

29 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

Almost. Coleco was using the Colecovision version of Donkey Kong to demonstrate the Adam's Colecovision compatibility at CES, and Atari mistook that for an Adam/computer port and a violation, on Nintendo's part, of their licensing agreement. Nintendo didn't know Coleco was going to be doing this, and the three groups met afterward and smoothed things over. Unfortunately, Ray Kassar had recently been doing a little insider trading and was forced to resign before the deal was finalized, leaving Nintendo in the lurch. From Nintendo's viewpoint, the deal was dead, and the Famicom was doing well enough in Japan to merit taking their chances in North America on their own.

So how do you explain the existance of the Donkey Kong (and Jr.) Super Game prototypes made for the Adam?