IGNORED

Atari 1050 PSU

t.skid

Hi! Today I've received the 1050 disk drive bought from an ebay auction. The drive is ok, but without the Power Supply (like the 130XE I bought last months... probably it's my destiny.. ). Surfing the net, I discovered that the 1050 use a 9 volts AC power supply, and not DC like the other Atari peripherals, right? Luckilly, if it's true, it will be more easy to find than the XE PSU

Thanks

Well, I got the right PSU and he drive seems to work well, thanks for the advice. Meanwhile... I've another question about ram: I got - another - 130XE that, when connected, enter immediately in the self test, and tells me that almost all the ram chips are off... (it shows a lot of red blocks with only 4 green). Opened it, I see that rams are SMT 4264. Those chips are common? The problem could only be with the ram or there's also a "ram controller" chip that could be dead? You know, I'd like to revive this poor 130

Its probably just a bad RAM.

Take a known-good 64k chip and bend the leads inward a little.

Starting with the first 64k DRAM in the 130XE, place this chip on top 'piggy-back' style so all the leads touch and turn on the 130XE, then off. Repeat with next ram.

If you suddenly find the 130XE works fine, you located the bad ram chip. Just replace that chip with another.

This usually works because when DRAM goes bad, its almost always an 'open' where one bit no longer functions at all. If one of the bits is stuck, then this wont work and you will have to resort to chip swapping.

The 64k DRAMs are very common and cheap.