IGNORED

Replacement LEDs for 1200xl

Iguana Bob

I've got a 1200xl that I have had for a while and had some time to get it up and running. Has the usual keyboard issues, but it's missing the power, L1 & L2 leds from the indicator board and I can't find any information on the specs of the originals. Is there a particular type I should replace these with? Obviously I'd like them to be as close to the OEM ones as possible. The little white spacers have gone missing too, doubtful I'll be able to find those.

11 hours ago, Iguana Bob said:

I've got a 1200xl that I have had for a while and had some time to get it up and running. Has the usual keyboard issues, but it's missing the power, L1 & L2 leds from the indicator board and I can't find any information on the specs of the originals. Is there a particular type I should replace these with? Obviously I'd like them to be as close to the OEM ones as possible. The little white spacers have gone missing too, doubtful I'll be able to find those.

Haven't opened up my 1200XLs in a while, but I seem to recall that they're just regular 5mm LEDs.  Corrections appreciated if I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mimo said:

Modern LEDs are brighter than the old school ones, so you may need to add some extra resistance to bring the brightness down a bit.

I replaced one of the LEDs on my 800 when I modded it for incognito with a modern LED. You can now see it's on.....from space!!!!  :lolblue:  (Even with an 820ohm resistor it's still super bright).

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Haha 4

Not sure about 1200xl but in the 800xl and 600xls , led problems are really "keyboard" problems in the sense that most of the time there is a problem with the mylar or the keyboard connector to the motherboard.

So maybe those keyboard problems you mentioned are related with the LEDs

6 hours ago, manterola said:

Not sure about 1200xl but in the 800xl and 600xls , led problems are really "keyboard" problems in the sense that most of the time there is a problem with the mylar or the keyboard connector to the motherboard.

So maybe those keyboard problems you mentioned are related with the LEDs

This is true for the XE mylars for the power LED . LEDs are pretty hardy things so it's worth checking continuity and traces on the mylars in that respect. Not sure about the 1200XL's LEDs though. I've only ever fixed 1200XL mylars for key issues.