IGNORED

Metroidvanias for the A8b?

trannus_aran

2 minutes ago, trannus_aran said:

Has anyone tried? Are there any metroidvanias in development? I have some ideas, but it would be my first attempt 👀

I'd say there are many games on 8bit Atari already that fit the genre, like "Draconus", "Miecze Valdgira", "Zorro", "Blinky's scary school" - generally http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-p_total-page-step-genre_118-1-200-11_8_G.html

• Like 3

This is a new term for me so I Googled it. Interesting:

What is a Metroidvania game?

Metroidvania is a sub-genre of action-adventure games and/or platformers focused on guided non-linearity and utility-gated exploration and progression.

and

The term “metroidvania” is a portmanteau of the two video games that defined the genre: Metroid (1986) and Castlevania (1986). Video game writer Scott Sharkey is credited with coining the term, and coworker Jeremy Parish helped to popularize it.

I found this page incidentally, which has some interesting titles in this genre on modern platforms:

Including this one listed which caught my eye because of the graphics used:

Gato Roboto

Gato Roboto

@trannus_aran  not sure if it fits the genre 100% but there is a WIP game called Tony which is going to feature on the A8 as well as other 8-bit and 16-bit platforms (also just happens to be in monochrome (not that monochrome is a defining feature of a Metroidvania game BTW):

d4.jpg

EDIT: Some great modern ones here too:

@ilmenit Blinky's Scary School is one of my favourite A8 games (and by coincidence I just happen to have bought a mint condition copy of the game on cassette this month!:))
Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1