IGNORED

BUG65 crashes Altirra 4.10 so no MAC65 for me :( Any suggestions appreciated

Hello all. I'm a "long time listener, first time caller" who started with the Atari in 1985 when I purchased a 130XE with my Dad to help him setup for writing during his retirement. We went to the local Atari User's Group meetings where I made some friends by typing in and sharing SpeedCalc. Over the past couple of years I have been getting back into Atari through emulation (Both Atari 800 on Linux and Altirra on Windows). For fun, I am going over old languages. I am currently working my way through Atari Roots using the Atari Assembler Editor (on disk) and would like to also "re-experience" the MAC/65 and BUG/65 programs. I want to use disk versions so that I can share work between the emulator and the 576NUC that I am getting. I can get MAC/65 to work fine, but BUG/65 crashes, no matter how I approach it. I've attached the latest (of serveral) disks that I am using, with the test program (from Atari Roots, p. 169) that I am using to try it out. The assembly speed is everything people say it is - but without a debugger I am not able to move on from the Atari Assembler Editor. Any suggestions or insights are appreciated.

Cheers, Darren a.k.a. Darken99

MAC-65_2.00_and_4.20_with_Bug-65_2.0_and_DOS_XL_2.30.atr

Thank you for the rapid response. My goal is to do everything with disk images - the 576NUC+ that I have will not handle carts and I want to be able to work directly on it as well as on Altirra - part of the retro fun. If you know of a working ATR image (or XEX file)with MAC65 and DDT, I'd be excited. Otherwise, my quest continues... square peg - round hole, but I save efficiency for the day job. 

Cheers, Darren

Thanks! This is really helpful! I actually found it a few of minutes ago (creative googling that brought me back to Atari Age - why ever leave?), and I am playing with putting together a short *.com file to improve the workflow. Plus, you gotta like the full screen!  Much appreciate the info - this forum rocks!

Cheers, Darren

One heads-up for using DDT within Altirra: an alternate keystroke needs to be set for starting Extended DDT, because Windows already has <ctrl><shft><esc> set for bringing up the task manager (at least it does for Windows 7, which I'm using). So, I just set Altirra to emulate <ctrl><shft><esc> with <ctrl><shft><"`"> instead.

2054409018_remapkey.thumb.png.3bae4fc50aa86a2a5036c124f317180f.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MrFish said:

One heads-up for using DDT within Altirra: an alternate keystroke needs to be set for starting Extended DDT, because Windows already has <ctrl><shft><esc> set for bringing up the task manager (at least it does for Windows 7, which I'm using). So, I just set Altirra to emulate <ctrl><shft><esc> with <ctrl><shft><"`"> instead.

2054409018_remapkey.thumb.png.3bae4fc50aa86a2a5036c124f317180f.png

I seem to recall the arrow keys are messed up in Altirra, you have to hold the shift key when using the arrow keys.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I seem to recall the arrow keys are messed up in Altirra, you have to hold the shift key when using the arrow keys.

It's working fine for me. <shft> with arrow keys should move through a full page of commands.

The only thing that might be different for some people using arrow keys would depend on the "Arrow key mode" they have selected in the main keyboard dialogue shown in the screenshot above.

22 minutes ago, danwinslow said:

.if you have that available why would you want to use either of these native debuggers?

I've not got that fluent yet with Altirra debugger, so easier to use BUG65 to test small bits of code

that can be typed in from the command line, also good for memory dumps.

I assume Altirra can do this, but not got that far yet :)

That is all reasonable, but my goal is to have the same workflow on the emulator as on my physical Atari (576NUC+ , basically a 21st century 130XE). In case anyone is interested in similar "reenactment" (without the black powder and fancy dress) I'll attach the DOS 2.5 ATR I put together that swaps EXDDT in and BUG65 out. I am working on a stable arrangement for Sparta DOS (disk based) for similar reasons - but no promises with the competiton for vectors. All the best!

MAC65 4.2 DDT DOS 2.5.atr

2 hours ago, danwinslow said:

The Altirra debugger seems so much better than anything you could run from within the atari...if you have that available why would you want to use either of these native debuggers?

Agreed. Extremely capable and insanely complicated with dozens and dozens of commands.

18 hours ago, Darken99 said:

I can get MAC/65 to work fine, but BUG/65 crashes, no matter how I approach it.

I had a try of BUG65 on your disk and found if I load it without any address i.e. BUG65 it loads but doesn't run

however if I type BUG65 2000 (to load at $2000) it loads fine and runs.

I can use any address up to $8000 and it runs ok.

I don't make relocatable versions, just run it with the load address, I'm using SDX with U1M, so I have to use the

'X' command, but don't worry if your not using that.