IGNORED

SIDE3 cartridge and Atari 800XLF

Yannil

Hi,

Are there any known issues running a SIDE3 cartridge on a U1MB modified Atari 800XLF? 

I bought a SIDE3 cartridge which arrived yesterday. But it doesn’t work right. The Loader doesn’t load sometimes and when it does it’s frozen or or flickers or is garbled. Sometimes it reads the SD card, mostly it doesn’t.

The U1MB runs OK

There shouldnt be an issue with an 800XLF.

A few things to check. 

Do you you have the latest flash jazz cat firmware or are you running with the really old candle firmware? 

If you do have a flash jazz cat firmware the next thing to check is that you have flashed the correct u1mb plug in for side3. 

If you have got the right plug in for a flash jazz cat firmware, the there are two other things you can do. 

1) replace the 74ls08 chip with a 74f08 chip

2) add a 100pf ceramic capacitor to the back of the U1MB. 

The last two are something you may or may not need. 

If you like take an image and upload it here of the u1mb bios. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yannil said:

Hi,

Are there any known issues running a SIDE3 cartridge on a U1MB modified Atari 800XLF? 

I bought a SIDE3 cartridge which arrived yesterday. But it doesn’t work right. The Loader doesn’t load sometimes and when it does it’s frozen or or flickers or is garbled. Sometimes it reads the SD card, mostly it doesn’t.

The U1MB runs OK

Beyond the advice mentioned already, you may also want to check where you've got PHI2 connected for the U1MB.  I had a similar problem that was solved (somewhat) by moving it from Sally (the CPU) to ANTIC.  

Also do you have anything connected to the PBI bus?  My problems were mostly caused by having an MIO plugged in.

2 hours ago, tuf said:

Beyond the advice mentioned already, you may also want to check where you've got PHI2 connected for the U1MB.  I had a similar problem that was solved (somewhat) by moving it from Sally (the CPU) to ANTIC.  

Also do you have anything connected to the PBI bus?  My problems were mostly caused by having an MIO plugged in.

I don't think it's this as U1MB is working so PHI2 must be connected. 

My money is now on swapping out the 74ls08 with 74f08.

@Yannil still pop over those bios screenshot anyway as it's good to know what you are running and let us know if you have the s3 pluggin installed if you are running FJC's firmware. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

18 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I don't think it's this as U1MB is working so PHI2 must be connected. 

My money is now on swapping out the 74ls08 with 74f08.

I'm sure it's connected now, but PHI2 reliability can be effected by where you're sourcing it from on the 800XL.  Lotharek suggested I try it and it resolved my issue, which is similar to the OPs.  Worth a shot!

11 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

There shouldnt be an issue with an 800XLF.

A few things to check. 

Do you you have the latest flash jazz cat firmware or are you running with the really old candle firmware? 

If you do have a flash jazz cat firmware the next thing to check is that you have flashed the correct u1mb plug in for side3. 

If you have got the right plug in for a flash jazz cat firmware, the there are two other things you can do. 

1) replace the 74ls08 chip with a 74f08 chip

2) add a 100pf ceramic capacitor to the back of the U1MB. 

The last two are something you may or may not need. 

If you like take an image and upload it here of the u1mb bios. 

I have checked and I think they both have the latest firmware98A99396-5C46-420B-9337-64B13E1C6B2F.thumb.jpeg.80e6a4fd853eb3f55b329d5a1de55140.jpeg

4EC7F0E6-5965-44D6-873F-3F72E9A8459D.thumb.jpeg.52faaa372052d62dc4f57048a7fd3b18.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Yannil said:

I have checked and I think they both have the latest firmware

Wrong SIDE3 Firmware, don't think yours will work without this version

U1M version is correct

image.thumb.png.3b3d399314d09fde7feae9967ffb735e.png

Edited by TGB1718

7 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

couldn't he use his old 800XL to flash the SIDE3 ? would be safer to do it that way

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that updating would affect the functionality of the cartridge per se; just that it might make matters worse on the problem machine.

14 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Freddie stability mod?  XLF doesn’t have a filter cap due to routing error.  

I agree. Without the extra decoupling capacitor Freddie can cause major problems.

It took TF_HH ages to find this problem and is simple to fix. I can't find the article but I did it below during a repair.

Edited by TZJB

Works great on my old Atari 800XL but a not on the U1MB - just gets a grey screen. 

now I know for a fact that a SIDE3 cartridge does run on this machine.

it’s mine that doesn’t. 

Swapped power supplies and I got it partially working on the U1MB machine. This one is 5V 2A output. The first one is an apple phone charger plug and I cannot read the output values apart from 5V. Could it just need more power to run all the upgrades together

Edited by Yannil