IGNORED

810 Disk Drive loadin sounds?

Breakpack

Hey.Just got an Atari 800XL w/ 810 disk drive (my first Atari computer...aww)I notice when I load a disk game I hear it loading on the TV screen (little bleeps n stuff).Also happens when it needs to load during a game (Spy vs. Spy 2 for example).I have it hooked up thru rf and not composite.Is this normal?Thanks in advance.

Another thing...I have game copies on floppies(came with the purchase).Quite a few seem to hang and not completely loadup.Is it because they are copies or am I missing something(Im completely new to this system).Some floppies load up garbles graphics.Right now Im staring at a green screen trying to load up Ms.PacMan

You got to hold down the {option} key when loading software that is NOT in basic, this disables the internal basic language, if you don't you will get garbled graphics, hang-ups and stuff just won't load most of the time (some software disables basic for you, but not much). So 99.9% of the time you will want to hold down the {option} key when you turn on the system to load off of disk. You only need to hold it down until the blue screen appears

...in addition, some titles (usually older games made before the XL series) will not run correctly without copying the OS that the older machines used into the XL's underlying Ram...because the games make calls directly to routines that had been moved around in the newer OS instead of calling the vector to jump to it. The Translator disk can be used to do that in those cases.