IGNORED

A good OS to run MAC/65 and EXDDT (DOS 2.5 works, but...)

Hello and thank you all for helping me get my environment set up to work through Atari Roots. I have gotten up to Assembly Language Math (Ch. 10) using the Atari Assembler Editor (on disk - cart is not an option) but would like to use the more visual display of EXDDT to follow flags, etc. while I become better aquainted with the 6502. I have MAC/65 ans EXDDT working together on Atari DOS 2.5, but I would like to work using Sparta DOS or DOS XL for the command line. Unfortunately, EXDDT seems to hang and misbehave a lot in thes enviroments. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a good spot to relocate EXDDT, or some other hint to make it work. FYI I am moving between Altirra and a 576NUC+ with FujiNet (no cart) and want to duplicate the workflow between them. Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by Darken99
spelling

Thanks for checking!  And, thanks to your encouragement, I have tinkered a bit more and find that it mostly works. EXDDT does seem to get lost moving back and forth between MAC/65 and EXDDT. Once I have identified reproducable issues and have a stable workflow, I'll post again in this thread. In the meantime, I am really enjoing the ability to step through the code while reading Atari Roots using Sparta DOS, MAC/65, and EXDDT. For now, on Altirra, my screen looks like this... (loving the symbol table)

image.thumb.png.df54b1d99b5256831362a0f9953202eb.png

On 5/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, Darken99 said:

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a good spot to relocate EXDDT, or some other hint to make it work.

From what I can see, the EXDDT under SpartaDOS X must be relocated out of the RAM banking area, i.e. definitely out of the $4000-$7FFF. If possible, I would recommend trying to relocate it to the block $8000-$9FFF, although it might not fit. Alternatively, reconfigure the DOS to USE OSRAM and do not load DOSKEY.

Also, as a side note, I do not know how the disk images of EXDDT I have here are representative for what is available to everyone, but... SpartaDOS X has problems reading the directory, but it is definitely not SDX's fault: these disks are a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drac030 said:

Also, as a side note, I do not know how the disk images of EXDDT I have here are representative for what is available to everyone, but... SpartaDOS X has problems reading the directory, but it is definitely not SDX's fault: these disks are a mess.

Try this one from the preserved software project collection; maybe it's a better-quality copy. [Note: it's also ATX, not ATR.]

Extended D.D.T. (1986)(Antic Software)(US).atx

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Darken99 said:

Thanks. I've been using 3.2g but I'll try that next. Any particular reason for the suggestion?

Very low memlo, something like $0CBE compared to 3.2's $1C19. Extra 4K comes in handy. Can't use it with Basic XE though, as they both use the block of ram under the OS at $C000-$CFFF.

• Like 1

Thanks. I just finished squeezing EXDDT onto a DOS XL MAC/65 disk and added a small text editor (by dropping the menu). It seems to work well, but the Flash Entry seems to get lost from time to time. Lots of circumstances can cause it, but either RUN 6003 or a warm start (RESET) seems to get around it. I'll attach my working *atr file, but I am sure there are still issues.

Now I am on to getting a 720k Sparta Dos image running on my NUC+/Fujinet (hint: ALT-2 boot, Fujinet HSIO set to Index 9 : 55kb - see below). Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers, Darren

MAC-65 EXDDT DOS XL 2.30 (DEV).atr

• Like 1

Thanks again for all for your insights. Even where I didn't follow your suggestions, I learned a lot from your many perspectives. I've got MAC/65, EXDDT, and a small text editor on a 720KB Sparta DOS 3.2g disk - Y2K patched and with the RAM drive working on my FujiNet enabled 576NUC+ with original Atari chips. It's like having my old 130XE back and then some! In case anyone is interested, I have translated EXDDT's test file from Atari Macro Assembler into MAC/65 code and ran it successfully on EXDDT. I've included the file on an appended ATR. If you run this, be sure to read the EXDDT manual first. It is not a simple command to enter as in the cartridge version, but it gives a lot of features for the extra effort. I'll include a *.pdf in case you don't want to print it from the [docs] disk (we are not that retro, are we?). Also, try a warm start if you get in trouble - it seems to bounce back well. 

EXDDT TEST FILE.ATR Extended DDT - Manual.pdf

Edited by Darken99
Typo/spelling

A final note before I disappear into my 576NUC+. Once again, many thanks for all of your suggestions. In an effort to return to this community, I've made a very rough video showing how I've used the information that you have provided or inspired (much Googling and time on the Atari Wiki). Though I try to do as much as possible on my NUC+, Altirrra on my PC is the easiest way to make clear videos. I apologize for any inaccuracies in facts or term use - I won't be offended by more corrections or suggestions. If you are just interested in EXDDT, its demonstration starts at 13:30. None of this is definitive or complete - they just give an idea of what I have been up to. The manuals are the real guides, especially for EXDDT (see previous thread posts). I am also attaching a copy of my development disk (virtual 720k). It could be carved up and spread among several disks and other DOSes - but it might save some time for someone. This is a great group, and I will be sure to return with more questions or just to browse...

All the best - Darken99

Atari Roots: https://archive.org/details/ataribooks-atari-roots

Assembly_MAC65_BUG65_EXDDT_SpartaDos3.2g_720k (DEV).atr

Edited by Darken99
Spelling and typos (again and again :( )
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2