IGNORED

Atari 7800 Forever's First video review: Popeye

Cousin Vinnie

On 5/22/2023 at 1:27 PM, rockman_x_2002 said:

Super-minor detail Darryl, and I'm really enjoying the game all the same.  I think it turned out stellar, and it's money very well spent!

Thanks. I am glad you enjoy the game.

On 5/22/2023 at 1:27 PM, rockman_x_2002 said:

That said, though, I wonder what the feasibility would be for a sort of "patcher" cartridge to address things like this. 

Rather than manually entering in codes to make modifications, the patcher cartridge would accept an SD card that has patch files on it to modify games. 

I know that not everybody that buys cartridges will have a Concerto, Dragonfly, or GD7800; however, a personalize and updated ROM could be a possible solution at some point. I think I see what you mean though. I believe there have been updates in other carts, and that would make the carts "update-able" for those who like the purity of carts. I can personally attest that unsoldering the EPROM is not a realistic task in large orders. Something like that is a cool concept.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, GoldLeader said:

If the bug can be fixed,  that would be Amazing!  But even if not,  to have nailed so much of it,...And on your First 7800 game (Really??).   It's Amazing anyway!   (small glitch,  Who cares?)

The bug is easily fixed. I created a method that I call to "AddScore" when an object is punched. I also created a method to "UpdateScore". The latter is what checks to see if the current player has overtaken the high score. It compares and updates the high score if necessary. I wanted that real-time calculation.

Since Popeye is multiple banks, with similar code, I had to repeat a lot of the level code 3x. (One for each level's bank.). In bank 2, I called UpdateScore, instead of AddScore, when a bottle is punched. It was easy to catch.

18 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

Yeah. Don’t sweat it man. I overreacted the other day. I have a newborn at home and my mother in law is living on my couch watching Jersey Shore and Paternity Court at max volume all day so I’m sleep deprived and grumpy while trying to write up a PhD thesis on top of it all. I can’t even play my 7800 right now unless I drive 15 miles to my brother’s house since my living room has been colonized lol.

I've had similar stresses, so I relate. No problem and thanks!

18 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

I think I’ll order a copy of this one some time over the next couple weeks. Don’t want to overload Al by placing an order while he is still packing stuff up for people who ordered when this batch of games was put up on the store.

Sounds good. I hope you can enjoy it when you get it. :)

• Like 2