IGNORED

Is there a general policy or consensus on posting disassembled ROMs/binaries?

Zolaerla

Question

I have not been able to find if there is a policy on the forums about posting disassembled ROMs. I've been working on a powerful disassembler for my own use, but I am worried about posting links to some of the things I've been disassembling since some are quite proprietary. Since this is kind of a grey area, I felt it would be better to ask before posting anything further.

So what is the general policy (or not) about posting disassembled code?

4 answers to this question

I would be angry if someone posted my disassembled code, regardless of the age, and I would consider that actionable. Maybe not winnable, but actionable none the less. Further, it possibly endangers this wonderful site. Just my opinion though. 

Your project sounds very useful, but couldn't you demonstrate it by disassembling your own code samples?

Edited by bent_pin

21 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Your project sounds very useful, but couldn't you demonstrate it by disassembling your own code samples?

The disassembler itself is not the goal. The disassembled output is.

If I was going to demonstrate the disassembler itself, then yes, you are correct, and I would use hand-written assembly, the resulting binary, the config file to disassemble it, and the resulting disassembly.