IGNORED

MIDI-XEL in a 1200XL

I have pimped my 1200XL with an U1MB, UAV, Stereo-Pokey and Covox. The audio signals are going to a simple 3x audio mixer pcb. Everything is working fine and makes me happy to see such a rare system coming up to a new live.

As the 3rd input of the audio mixer is empty I thought it'd be a wonderful idea to equip it with a MIDI-XEL device (not the MIDI-XEL II), which is already working in my 1088XEL, so I wired the device to audio, SIO and /RST of the 6502. The MIDI device is playing it's welcome sound when powering up the 1200 but is staying silent when playing MIDI files.

Anyone any idea what I'm missing here?

Looks like that the MIDI-XEL isn't available at mytek anymore but can be still found here. Documentation and schematics in my own archive.

Edited by larryleffaovell

7 hours ago, larryleffaovell said:

I have pimped my 1200XL with an U1MB, UAV, Stereo-Pokey and Covox. The audio signals are going to a simple 3x audio mixer pcb. Everything is working fine and makes me happy to see such a rare system coming up to a new live.

As the 3rd input of the audio mixer is empty I thought it'd be a wonderful idea to equip it with a MIDI-XEL device (not the MIDI-XEL II), which is already working in my 1088XEL, so I wired the device to audio, SIO and /RST of the 6502. The MIDI device is playing it's welcome sound when powering up the 1200 but is staying silent when playing MIDI files.

Anyone any idea what I'm missing here?

Looks like that the MIDI-XEL isn't available at mytek anymore but can be still found here. Documentation and schematics in my own archive.

Can I get details on the audio mixer you are using?

18 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Can you show us how the 1200XL looks on the outside with the MIDI ports?

Yes, have a look at my solution. I have removed the RF out because of UAV and inserted this one for audio out instead. Thats all. It's a 6.35 mm (14 inch) "phone connector", usually used for audio devices like guitars etc. Fits great for the hole of RF and is keeping solutions for -> phone connector of 3.5mm or -> cinch.

IMG_20230607_210259.jpg

Edited by larryleffaovell
phone connectors
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

Yes, have a look at my solution. I have removed the RF out because of UAV and inserted this one for audio out instead. Thats all. It's a 6.35 mm (14 inch) "phone connector", usually used for audio devices like guitars etc. Fits great for the hole of RF and is keeping solutions for -> phone connector of 3.5mm or -> cinch.

So your solution provides audio-only, correct? You don’t have jacks or a breakout cable for serial MIDI IN/OUT data?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So your solution provides audio-only, correct? You don’t have jacks or a breakout cable for serial MIDI IN/OUT data?

Correct. I didn't want to drill any extra hole into this very rare system. MIDI sound is coming from a S2 wavetable AddOn to the MIDI-XEL, hence the audio mixer.

For an "live on stage" (not really) and extraordinary appearance I'm using a mostly full blown 1088XEL and a MIDI-XEL II to a MT32 (or similar GM) synthesizer.

• Like 2