IGNORED

Ghostbusters - Development Diary

TheMole

OK, that's it. I did not buy a vacuum cleaner. Is there anything else to do during cruising?

I was able to suck in two ghosts on the street, and now I also saw a ghost in front of a building, positioned the trap, and tried to catch it with the trap, but failed, of course. Need more practice.

Funnily, I could not make sense of the map at first because I had this "Necker cube" illusion where you misconstruct an ambiguous shape; that is, I did not see the roof top on the upper right corner, but something like an atrium with walls on the lower left.

I remember I played Ghostbusters on the C64 of a friend back in the 80s; this really brings back memories.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, publicarni said:

I just tested your great game and i found a display problem using the „Martin“ account with 123700$, Look to the last line:IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.7a407432bc219dd277ac9dfc5a027095.jpeg

Afte a while the line will be correct:IMG_0201.thumb.jpeg.ddd74c9a69a97a5bf5cf4c16431ad1f4.jpeg

going to the ghost scene will be ok

IMG_0202.thumb.jpeg.19838d70f8398d578769327369911ad7.jpeg
But in this scene it starts an endless loop …IMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.d6ae0c71becc365e8128e77b98300a73.jpeg

pressing Space works:IMG_0206.thumb.jpeg.134eda589f83120d78cbcce44738b653.jpeg

But the pk counter …IMG_0208.thumb.jpeg.fec5529437bd11dc4473f7c73f17b1eb.jpeg

Counts endless…

Thanks for testing! Can I ask which version you downloaded (from which post)? I thought I had fixed the endless loop issue a few releases ago... 😕

Aargh! I really hope you used an older version :).

I did go in and test with the 'MARTIN' account, and was able to reproduce the display bug. That has been fixed now. Also note, the PK ENERGE value you see in the screenshot there is also a result of the display bug. I'll share the fixed binaries once I get confirmation on the endless loop thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

OK, that's it. I did not buy a vacuum cleaner. Is there anything else to do during cruising?

I was able to suck in two ghosts on the street, and now I also saw a ghost in front of a building, positioned the trap, and tried to catch it with the trap, but failed, of course. Need more practice.

Funnily, I could not make sense of the map at first because I had this "Necker cube" illusion where you misconstruct an ambiguous shape; that is, I did not see the roof top on the upper right corner, but something like an atrium with walls on the lower left.

I remember I played Ghostbusters on the C64 of a friend back in the 80s; this really brings back memories.

Nah, nothing else to do during the driving sections. I think in the original design it was meant to convince you to be smart about driving around on the map. The length of the drive correlates to the number of dots you layed down on the map screen, so the more economical you are getting to flashing buildings, the less time you have to waste on the road.

I had never heard of the Necker Cube, but I've certainly experienced! :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Though I don't have a FinalGROM 99, to test on presently, as I recall... If a ROM image is found 1st, the GROM file never loads!

However, perhaps by utilizing GRAM, You could rewrite the header, so the customized TITLE SCREEN, appears upon QUITting.

Ah, well if that's the case then it will still look better on the FinalGrom with the changes I proposed, I think you just won't get the customized MTS. I implemented the changes, and they work well in emulators, but I too don't have a finalgrom at hand to test on (at least not here in Hong Kong). Maybe @ralphb can shed some light on the finalgrom menu algorithm (or I could be less lazy and go and read the menu code on his github... hmmm.... )

And I'm going to wait and see if I need to be concerned about @publicarni's bug report before releasing a new version.

Man, this game is complicated to test though, lot's of moving parts!

Edited by TheMole

10 hours ago, TheMole said:

I had never heard of the Necker Cube, but I've certainly experienced! :) 

I did not know the name of that illusion either; learned it from Wikipedia.

It's about the transparent cube (only with edges and corners), where you can flip the image in your mind and see it once from above and once from below.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I did not know the name of that illusion either; learned it from Wikipedia.

Interesting.  These devices have always given me problems, best I can describe it, as my interpretation tends to flip sporadically while I observe them.   Even when the lines are dotted, I tend to perceive the dotted lines as being in the foreground.

5 hours ago, TheMole said:

No, interrupts are disabled, so no support for QUIT :(

That should be easy to implement just before your wait for VDP end of frame. Something like this:

clr   r1       ; keyboard column 0
li    r12,>24  ; CRU address of the decoder
ldcr  r1,>3    ; select the column
li    r12,>6   ; address of the first row
stcr  r1,>8    ; read 8 rows
andi  r1,>1100 ; test both "fctn" and "=" (=QUIT)
jne   label    ; not pressed
blwp  @>0000   ; reset

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, publicarni said:

Sorry, I used the version from Home Automation 17.3.24.

Another suggestion, may you reduce the Ghostbusters Song intensity, so the digital speech loudness would be equal.

You know, I've heard this from other people as well. It's easy to do, but on my system it actually sounds really balanced. I'll check it on my other systems when back in Europe to see if there's a difference from system to system, or if it's just preference.

2 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

That should be easy to implement just before your wait for VDP end of frame. Something like this:

clr   r1       ; keyboard column 0
li    r12,>24  ; CRU address of the decoder
ldcr  r1,>3    ; select the column
li    r12,>6   ; address of the first row
stcr  r1,>8    ; read 8 rows
andi  r1,>1100 ; test both "fctn" and "=" (=QUIT)
jne   label    ; not pressed
blwp  @>0000   ; reset

Indeed, good point! Thanks.

I've added it and it seems to work (at least when I'm syncing to VBLANK, still no QUIT when playing back samples or loading data of course...)

Still looking at the endless loop bug, so no new build yet. Hopefully soon!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I am really sorry, but i got again an endlos Loop error. Losung a ghost in the following scene counts endless and i couldn’t Go to the next scene. Again, it is absolutely a great TI implemitation…👍IMG_0290.thumb.jpeg.ff703ee523e257fda818460b690b8c98.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

Edited by publicarni
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, publicarni said:

I am really sorry, but i got again an endlos Loop error. Losung a ghost in the following scene counts endless and i couldn’t Go to the next scene. Again, it is absolutely a great TI implemitation…👍

My version management got a bit messed up, not sure if the version that is downloadable here contains my latest fixes. I will send you a PM with the latest I have, if you would be okay trying that version out?

15 hours ago, TheMole said:

My version management got a bit messed up, not sure if the version that is downloadable here contains my latest fixes. I will send you a PM with the latest I have, if you would be okay trying that version out?

Of course i am very interested to  test it, but the next days i am on vacation with no TI equipment. Today in Lausanne and later in Montpellier🚘😎