IGNORED

How do I make a bootable SpartaDOS 3.2 disk?

chad5200

For some reason, I am having a hard time creating bootable SpartaDOS 3.2 disk.

In Altirra, I am running SpartaDOS 3.2 on D1:... I then create a new D2: disk with these settings:

Disk format = Custom

Sector count = 65535

Boot sector count = 3

Sector size = 256 bytes (DD)

Filesystem = SpartaDOS File System (SDFS)

I then copy the X32D.DOS file to this D2: drive.

Then change to D2:

Then run the command BOOT X32D.DOS

Then swap D2: into D1:

Then reboot and get BOOT ERROR.

What am I missing?

5 hours ago, chad5200 said:

That won't work, as @cx2k says, run XINIT and it will guide you through the process.

Copying any DOS to the disk will never work as the bootstrap has to be copied to the first 3 sectors of the

disk to make it bootable, that code will then load DOS.

24 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

the bootstrap has to be copied to the first 3 sectors of the disk to make it bootable, that code will then load DOS.

That's what the Sparta BOOT command does (points the boot loader in sectors 1-3 to the named executable, which can be anything you like, within reason).

8 hours ago, chad5200 said:

For some reason, I am having a hard time creating bootable SpartaDOS 3.2 disk.

In Altirra, I am running SpartaDOS 3.2 on D1:... I then create a new D2: disk with these settings:

Disk format = Custom

Sector count = 65535

Boot sector count = 3

Sector size = 256 bytes (DD)

Filesystem = SpartaDOS File System (SDFS)

Then change to D2:

Then run the command BOOT X32D.DOS

Then swap D2: into D1:

Then reboot and get BOOT ERROR.

What am I missing?

SpartaDOS 3.2d to SpartaDOS 3.2g have an open file/directory bug. This can corrupt files and trash the directory.

RealDOS or SpartaDOS 3.3 may be a better option for a disk based version of SpartaDOS.

For BOOT to work the disk needs to be formatted with the relevant SpartaDOS command.

From the RealDOS manual:-

Note: The boot command is very handy if you like to install RealDos on larger media like hard drives, SD cards or CF cards. Format the media e.g. using XINIT (up to 720KB) or FMTDIR (any size up to 65536 sectors), copy the respective DOS onto it and make it bootable using the BOOT Command.

I hope that this helps.

• Like 1

SpartaDOS X32D had a bug which corrupts the hard disk, which back in the day, was known by most Atari users.

That being said, did you try using a path?

The BOOT command can strap to DOS files/variants in one of your folders if you desire.

Since you are trying to strap a file on D2: it can't hurt to make sure Altirra is set the read and write to the disk (so not virtual R/W) and then use the path with the BOOT command. Those choices may help.

Lastly make sure the SD image isn't modified, as sometimes is the case... you might have to try another 3.2 DOS file that isn't altered.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Some PC utilities that claim to be able to create SpartaDOS disks do weird things to the bootloader. E.g. they do not create any at all. Therefore indeed it is better to use a native formatting program or, under SpartaDOS X, CLX /B, which checks the bootloader and offers to replace it, if it detects that it is "non-standard" (which may mean "non-existing").

• Like 1