IGNORED

The "Atari 400/800 Tech Reference Notes" PDF, now with a PDF Table of Contents

spicyjack

Hello everybody,

I have made a quick first pass at adding a PDF Table of Contents (ToC) with navigation bookmarks to the "Atari 400/800 Tech Reference Notes" PDF, which includes

1. Operating System User's Manual
  2. Operating System Source Listing
  3. Hardware Manual

I'm now in the middle of making a second pass and adding a lot more ToC bookmarks, basically down to the section level in the original document where possible.  The latest version of this file has ToC bookmarks up to and including section 5 in the Operating System User's Manual.

If you reference this PDF a lot, having the ToC available will make browsing and navigating the PDF a lot easier for you.

I sourced the PDF for this version from atariwiki.org (I think), so this copy is the single PDF file version with 553 pages that contains all 3 parts of the original, and not one of the 537-page copies currently hosted at archive.org, which are missing pages 25-40 from the OS User's Manual (see forum link below).

I may upload this copy of the PDF to archive.org at some point in the near future, we'll see.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

=~=~=~=

Original source file for this version of the PDF: http://data.atariwiki.org/DOC/Atari_400-800_Technical_Reference_Notes-Operating_System_User_s_Manual-Operating_System_Source_Listing_and_Hardware_Manual_553_pages.pdf

The link for the updated PDF with the Table of Contents is at the bottom of this post...

=~=~=~=

Atari_400-800_Technical_Reference_Notes.2023-08-31.pdf

Edited by spicyjack
2023-08-31: Uploaded PDF with more bookmarks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 13

4 hours ago, spicyjack said:

If you reference this PDF a lot, having the ToC available will make browsing and navigating the PDF a lot easier for you.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see anything like a Table of Contents, look just the same as my originals,

What am I missing ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrFish said:

Useful... thanks for sharing.

I had planned on bookmarking it myself, but never got around to it.

If you want, I can put your version up in place of the copy I have on my site: Serious Computerist - Tech Ref Notes

You are free to post it, but you would have to split it into parts to match how you currently have them posted, which would break the PDF bookmarks.  You could also post the single PDF in addition to what you already have hosted.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

Navigation seems a bit slow.

It does seem to have selectable text which when pasted makes sense, as compared to an earlier multipart version I have where the OCR doesn't seem to have been done very well.

It's a big document; the more RAM your PDF viewer has available, the easier it will be to navigate.

I didn't OCR it, someone else did, I just added the ToC with bookmarks to pages (versus bookmarks to blocks of text on a page) in the existing PDF.

Re-OCR'ing it, converting it to text, and then adding bookmarks to individual sections would be what I would try next, similar to the copies of Action!, Inside Atari DOS and Basic XL books/manuals that @GoodByteXL did, but this won't happen anytime soon.

6 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Maybe it's me, but I don't see anything like a Table of Contents, look just the same as my originals,

What am I missing ?

The Table of Contents is in a Side Bar, it's not clickable directly in the document (at least, using Ocular under Linux). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

You are free to post it, but you would have to split it into parts to match how you currently have them posted, which would break the PDF bookmarks.  You could also post the single PDF in addition to what you already have hosted.

I don't think you examined what I have on my site closely enough. I have the same full Tech. Ref. Notes PDF that you have posted here (553 PDF pages, minus the book marks), which contains the operating system source listing for Rev. B. With that, I've included the text-file version of Rev. B operating system source listing. Then in the next section (below it), I have Atari's published operating system source listing for Rev. A, and the accompanying text-file version of the same. So, nothing is split up.

6 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

What am I missing ?

What PDF viewer are you using, and on which operating system?

Here's a screenshot of Windows 10 using Edge as the PDF viewer, showing the ToC; the "Show Table of Contents" button is on the far left of the toolbar, underneath the left-arrow (Back) button.

windows_10.edge_as_pdf_viewer.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.a639a819fad8f688762dabb0b38e4d84.jpg

And another using Ubuntu MATE 22.04.2 with "Atril Document Viewer" showing the ToC...

ubuntu_mate.atril_as_pdf_viewer.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.8b0f0e96ef3dab9abaa5a9f1b999c904.jpg

Aaaand Preview on macOS Ventura...

macos_ventura.preview_as_pdf_viewer.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.ccd5a3209e69eb871437c2a6611b2af6.jpg

Just now, MrFish said:

I don't think you examined what I have on my site closely enough. I have the same full Tech. Ref. Notes PDF that you have posted here (553 PDF pages, minus the book marks), which contains the operating system source listing for Rev. B. With that, I've included the text-file version of Rev. B operating system source listing. Then in the next section (below it), I have Atari's published operating system source listing for Rev. A, and the accompanying text-file version of the same. So, nothing is split up.

No, I missed it, because I quickly scanned for it and didn't see it.  In any case, it's free to post anywhere, since I downloaded it for free, I just ask that I be the one to upload it to archive.org, after a couple of weeks, to give time for comments and typo fixes.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

No, I missed it, because I quickly scanned for it and didn't see it.  In any case, it's free to post anywhere, since I downloaded it for free, I just ask that I be the one to upload it to archive.org, after a couple of weeks, to give time for comments and typo fixes.

Alright, thanks; I appreciate it.

I have no interest in posting anything to Archive.org.

Before I post your PDF to my site -- if you don't mind -- I'd like to augment some of the text styles for select bookmarks (bold, italics) to help distinguish various major sections, etc., and force the PDF to open with the bookmarks panel displayed. I'll also change the PDF icon on my site for the TRN to reflect that it is bookmarked -- the same as how the PDF icon for this entry is (and all the other bookmarked PDF's on my sites): Serious Computerist - De Re Atari. [I don't know if I've specifically mentioned it anywhere before, but these icons present an easy way for people to know which PDF's on my sites are bookmarked and which ones are not.]

1 hour ago, spicyjack said:

What PDF viewer are you using, and on which operating system?

It's ok, my stupid fault, when I looked at your post, I clicked on the link and downloaded that,

the actual file you posted was off screen at the bottom DOH!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Before I post your PDF to my site -- if you don't mind -- I'd like to augment some of the text styles for select bookmarks (bold, italics) to help distinguish various major sections, etc., and force the PDF to open with the bookmarks panel displayed.

Some problems here;

1. You can't "style" Table of Contents (ToC) entries in a PDF
  2. From the PDF document, you can't tell a PDF viewer to open the document with a certain "view" (Table of Contents, Bookmarks, Thumbnails, etc.)

For ToC entries, what you can do is "promote" and "demote" entries in the outline view of the ToC, so that the ToC resembles a tree structure.  This is how you would highlight certain parts of the document, you promote the important parts in the outline view so that it shows up when the outline is collapsed, and you demote other entries so they are only visible when you expand that part of the document, or expand the whole document.  I'll show you an example.

Collapsed ToC:

pdf_toc_tree.collapsed.2023-06-14.jpg.f31ace66c44655d1049d5159c89d9ecd.jpg

Expanded ToC:

pdf_toc_tree.expanded.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.9504720a64acb3c1febad0f4ea86fde8.jpg

This expanded ToC shows 3 levels of the outline, there's a 4th level above this that's promoted to "level 1", so all of these entries are at levels 2, 3 and 4.

There is no way from the PDF document itself to suggest to PDF viewers that they use a specific "view" (ToC, Thumbnails, Bookmarks, etc.) when opening up a PDF.  This "feature" is not part of the PDF spec, and yes, there is a PDF spec put out by Adobe, search for it online if you're curious.  The latest version of the spec that I have on my computer is PDF version 1.7.

Different versions of the PDF spec have different "Viewer Preferences" (listed in the "Interactive Features" part of the spec document), but the PDF viewer application is free to ignore any and all of these viewer preferences.

Most PDF viewers that I've seen that allow you (the PDF viewer user) to choose a default view to open PDFs with.  Some PDF viewers have an option that you can set so that they remember what view you last opened documents in, and they will use that view with all PDFs going forward.  Some PDF viewers remember which views you used with what documents, and use the same view every time you open that specific document.  All of these options are programmed (or not) into the PDF viewer, and it's up to the PDF viewer to interpret them (or not).

Edited by spicyjack
Added more explanation about ToC outline levels

Mods, can you please unlock the first post so I can edit it going forward?

I'd like to post updates to that PDF as people comment and find things.  I've already found an error myself, and I'll probably add a few more things that I've seen to the ToC.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

It's ok, my stupid fault, when I looked at your post, I clicked on the link and downloaded that,

the actual file you posted was off screen at the bottom DOH!!!!

I'll see if I can edit the first post to make it more obvious which PDF has the ToC.

31 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

Some problems here;

1. You can't "style" Table of Contents (ToC) entries in a PDF
  2. From the PDF document, you can't tell a PDF viewer to open the document with a certain "view" (Table of Contents, Bookmarks, Thumbnails, etc.)

News to me. I've been styling bookmark entries and setting initial view properties for PDF files in Adobe Acrobat for years; and both are supported by every reader I've used.

1511626187_6502alp.thumb.png.4d85ca15ea1e929f9d43b2278be0b86f.png

1367338163_6502alp-props.thumb.png.f83972915aedf373c6be2034ea5d9dc5.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MrFish said:

News to me. I've been styling bookmark entries and setting initial view properties for PDF files in Adobe Acrobat for years; and both are supported by every reader I've used.

But they're not supported by every PDF reader out there.  I couldn't even get the cover to show up for your copy of "6502 Assembly Language Programming" on Windows 10 + Edge.  I just downloaded it off of your website.

Ubuntu 22.04.2 + Atril

6502_alp.atril_ubuntu-22_04.2.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.ec63b4d5eda9543f671b98eb4b5bd161.jpg

macOS Ventura + Preview

6502_alp.preview_macos_ventura.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.2d520a6fe36d66c705baa15da260869b.jpg

Windows 10 + Edge

6502_alp.windows_10_edge.2023-06-14.thumb.jpg.2377384ee3f3c35e271541ff8524a630.jpg

I think most people will use the PDF reader that comes built in to the system, or the PDF reader that is the easiest to download and install and doesn't cause you to want to kill your computer.  Adobe is bad at making these kinds of products nowadays, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I had a license for Adobe Acrobat Pro at an old job, but I won't use it anymore and I probably never will going forward, using it just made me sad, Adobe is not kind to end users at all.  They went the "let's build and release our app as a Chromium app" route for the macOS version, and it wasn't a great experience.

59 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

But they're not supported by every PDF reader out there.  I couldn't even get the cover to show up for your copy of "6502 Assembly Language Programming" on Windows 10 + Edge.  I just downloaded it off of your website.

Adobe invented the PDF; but it looks like ISO has taken control of things since 2008. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Too bad if some readers are not supporting bookmark text styling. It makes navigating a list of hundreds of bookmarks a lot easier. I guess software is devolving these days.

No harm done if a reader just ignores the styling.

Edge... not sure what's going on there. I generally stay away from Microsoft browsers. Although I do support IE for my websites (usually to the detriment of CSS features that I'd like to use and end up being forced to dump).

Anyway... I'll add the things I mentioned, to benefit those who use a viewer that supports the features.

39 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Adobe invented the PDF; but it looks like ISO has taken control of things since 2008. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing

Adobe willingly gave up control; since they owned the patent on the PDF format, nobody else would have been able to build PDF readers without licensing the patent from Adobe.  Without giving up patent rights, you would have never seen things like PDF browser plugins, or PDF readers for tablets and ebook readers for example.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF#History:

PDF was a proprietary format controlled by Adobe until it was released as an open standard on July 1, 2008, and published by the International Organization for Standardization as ISO 32000-1:2008,[6][7] at which time control of the specification passed to an ISO Committee of volunteer industry experts. In 2008, Adobe published a Public Patent License to ISO 32000-1 granting royalty-free rights for all patents owned by Adobe that are necessary to make, use, sell, and distribute PDF-compliant implementations.[8]

Edge... not sure what's going on there. I generally stay away from Microsoft browsers. Although I do support IE for my websites (usually to the detriment of CSS features that I'd like to use and end up being forced to dump).

Like I said earlier, I think most people are happy to use what comes with the system as long as it doesn't bother them enough to go out and find something else to perform the same function.  I'm not a Windows user, so a Windows PDF reader is not a priority for me.

Edited by spicyjack
added more info about PDF format usage