IGNORED

Who here has a pair of Atari joypads?

ApolloBoy

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of those. The ProStick just gets too uncomfortable after extended playing. And I never cared for the feel of the fire buttons on them, either.

Have you ever seen that Sears version of the 2600 that's shaped a lot like the 7800? I saw one for the first time at AGE (But I didn't have enough cash on me to buy it), and the controllers looked kind of like the 7800's ProSticks, but the buttons seemed to work and feel a lot better. And less hand cramping to use for a long time. I actually found one of those controllers recently but didn't buy it, because the actual stick has been broken off. It's just a nub. If I knew how to solder and work on electronics, I'd like to fix that as a perfect 7800 replacement joystick.

I have had my joypads for almsot two years now i love them!!!! Some people dont like the tumb stick on them but i do! It can be removed anyway! The best place to order them is from best elitronics you can find a link to their webiste here on atariage.

I have them as well. i like them, though to be honest, there are times when I actually prefer the prolines. LOL.

What???

That's right.

I was actually weaned on the 7800 from age 14, so i don't get handcramps with the prolines. Also, I find them to be a bit more sensitive than the joypads. For games like SCRAPYARD DOG, that extra precision is really important. I actually keep the second proline hooked up to my XE Game System.

I have them, i like them better than the prolines, but the button placement on the joypad is not quite right, i wish they were on an angle a bit, the button on the right being up around 2 oclock from the left button, it would make using much more comfortable for me.

I have a pair but don't use them much. I only break them out for two button games; I use a CX40 for everything else. They're just not quite responsive enough, IMHO. I do think that they're slightly better with the thumb sticks screwed in and slightly better than that if you use SMS thumb sticks in 'em instead.

I bought one recently and don't care for it at all. Seems awful stiff to me and not even very accurate, whether I'm using the thumb stick with it or without. I always thought it would be like an NES controller but this one seems like a very, very cheap imitation.

I still prefer using a Genesis controller.

Mendon

I have a pair of these.  I like them, but they are poorly made.  I'm probably going to go for some sega controllers soon to play 7800 games.

You might want to ask around before you buy them. My 7800 doesn't seem to like the Genesis controllers much. Ms Pacman works, but is sluggish. Galaga works fine. Asteroids doesn't work at all. The ship keeps jumping to hyperspace and won't stop unless I shut the unit completely off and plug in the old 2600 sticks, or the 7800 sticks. Pole Position 2 doesnt work, neither does food fight. It's possible it could be my unit though, but I've tried like 10 different 2600 sticks and they work fine.

Has anyone tried the Genesis controllers??

I have a pair of these.  I like them, but they are poorly made.  I'm probably going to go for some sega controllers soon to play 7800 games.

You might want to ask around before you buy them. My 7800 doesn't seem to like the Genesis controllers much. Ms Pacman works, but is sluggish. Galaga works fine. Asteroids doesn't work at all. The ship keeps jumping to hyperspace and won't stop unless I shut the unit completely off and plug in the old 2600 sticks, or the 7800 sticks. Pole Position 2 doesnt work, neither does food fight. It's possible it could be my unit though, but I've tried like 10 different 2600 sticks and they work fine.

I have, and they work just fine on my 7800.

I was actually weaned on the 7800 from age 14, so i don't get handcramps with the prolines. Also, I find them to be a bit more sensitive than the joypads.

I agree. I started off with the Pro-Line joysticks when I got my 7800 in 1987 at the age of 15. I really liked those controllers back then (a real joystick! :) ), and I still like them now.

I got a pair of the 7800 joypads about 2-3 years in an eBay auction. They're OK to have, I suppose, but I much prefer the Pro-Line joysticks. The main problem is with the directional pad, which is a bit stiff and has poor accuracy. Unlike most "problem" joypads where the diagonals are difficult to perform, the 7800 joypads suffer from the opposite problem--it's too easy to hit the diagonals! You often get a diagonal direction when you're trying to go horizontal or vertical.

Recently, one of my friends dug out an old 7800 that he had stashed away (which he said he never even used), because he and I and some other friends were getting together at his house to play some games. I didn't even know he owned a 7800 until that very day. Anyway, he asked me to bring over a controller, since he wasn't sure if he could find his. I decided to surprise him and bring one of the joypads. He proclaimed it to be the worst controller he ever used. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who up until that day never played a 7800 (not even the one he owned), so he had no point of reference. He liked the games, but loathed the controller.

Two days later, we all got together again for some more gaming. Remembering what happened the last time, I brought the Pro-Line joystick with me instead. He thought that was a much better controller, and wondered why I didn't bother bringing that the first time around.

The Jaguar joypads (both the regular and ProController) were excellent. Too bad we couldn't have gotten a directional pad like those on the 7800.

I got two pads and love them. I will say that unlike Genesis, and most other non Nintendo controllers out there, it's actually to easy to hit diagonall with these. Most other controllers, it's almost impossible to hit an angle, with these, it's easy. In fact, it may be harder to hit a streight line than it is to hit an angle.

The stick was a little weird feeling when I first got them, so I took them off, then played with the pad, thought it sucked, and put the sticks back on LOL Anyhow. I'd prefer a real stick, but my sticks are broken. The dome switch buttons are real pieces of crap, I swear.

I got two pads and love them.  I will say that unlike Genesis, and most other non Nintendo controllers out there, it's actually to easy to hit diagonall with these.  Most other controllers, it's almost impossible to hit an angle, with these, it's easy.  In fact, it may be harder to hit a streight line than it is to hit an angle.

That hits the nail right on the head. Every time that you want to go straight with the pads, the damned things register a diagonal.

Are you using the official Sega ones or one of the cheap third party Genesis controllers. Some of the third party controllers do weird things.

Mitch

Well, they are "sega" controllers, from a sega cd unit. Actually...MOST games are fine. Centipede, Galaga, Ms Pacman...only a few that work wierd. Asteroids it the main culprit.