IGNORED

SuperCharger now supported by the PlusStore

Al_Nafuur

As revealed in the latest @ZeroPage Homebrew show the Starpath/Arcadia SuperCharger is now supported by the PlusStore.

The "SuperCharger" folder in PlusStore is shared with all users, so users can now use their smartphone (or any other device with a browser and an audio jack) to load the games via the nextcloud music player app. A PlusStore account (not a PlusCart) is necessary to use the player (Registering a PlusStore account is free).

@Prizrak and I uploaded the "Stella gets a new Brain" CD rips and all SuperCharger hacks done by @Nukey Shay to the new PlusStore folder "SuperCharger". This was a lot of work, since all the hacks were bin files and had to be converted with makewav to an audio format and none of the rips and hacks had any useful ID3 tags or cover images. We mostly used @Rom Hunter's database at atarimania.com for the ID3 information and the covers. Some of the information is from the AtariAge Rarity Guide. To organize the album view of the player in a useful way we had to store the game name in the "Artist" ID3 tag and the programmer in the "Album" tag.

A new feature is that all new homebrews of 4K and below will be automatically converted to the WAV format and appear in the music player to test with the SuperCharger (currently in the "ZZ_Generated" folder under "Unknown Artist").

PlusStore users that are using the nextcloud/WebDAV client to sync the PlusStore to a local folder and don't have a SuperCharger might unshare the folder if they want to save the 200 MB additional space needed locally.

Before using the music player the first time you should set the folder for the library to "/SuperCharger/" here (so scanning will be faster):

image.png.5148b81c666488a35d6baaafb032ef

initially you have to scan the folder:

image.thumb.png.6499713d64e80f368e4b61b1

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Did you upload the fixed Amidar?

Thanks for the reminder. I had prepared the fixed audio files, but not yet replaced them because of the missing ID3 information.

11 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Pretty cool, but I think most smartphones are completely dropping the audio jack in lieu of Bluetooth, which sucks.

@ZeroPage Homebrew used a USB-C to audio adapter in the show, which worked fine. Would be interesting to know if it works with an Bluetooth to audio receiver too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew used a USB-C to audio adapter in the show, which worked fine. Would be interesting to know if it works with an Bluetooth to audio receiver too.

You bet! I hooked up my bluetooth in receiver mode to my Starpath Supercharger and connected my cell phone to transmit a game from the PlusStore! This is the bluetooth transmitter that I use on ZPH for interviews. The whole system worked flawlesslessly after I adjusted the volumes to what the Supercharger was happy with.

SUCCESS!

Here's the video:

- James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2023 at 11:18 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

You bet! I hooked up my bluetooth in receiver mode to my Starpath Supercharger and connected my cell phone to transmit a game from the PlusStore! This is the bluetooth transmitter that I use on ZPH for interviews. The whole system worked flawlesslessly after I adjusted the volumes to what the Supercharger was happy with.

SUCCESS!

awesome!

🤔

This might be the first "double" wireless load (WiFi and Bluetooth) to a SuperCharger.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Who will do the first "tripple" load? :) 

🤔

An easy way would be using a LTE router or a satellite internet provider (e.g. Starlink).

🤷‍♂️

I don't know how, but maybe someone can add in his local IoT network (ZigBee or Z-Wave)

55 minutes ago, batari said:

Here is my 2006 Supercharger-based homebrew if you want to include it in the collection. Bin, WAV, instructions and source included. I suppose this game could already be there but I would be surprised, as there were so few Supercharger homebrews.

twisty_passages.zip 32.71 kB · 4 downloads

thanks👍

The bin file already existed in the hombrew section of the PlusStore, but the SuperCharger WAV file not. I used the included screenshot for the cover image. Is there a boxart image for the game?

Is there a a separate NTSC / PAL60 build? I couldn't find anything at first glance in the bB source code.

There are already a few auto generated files in the "ZZ_Generated" folder.

• Astronaut.wav
  • BERZERK_4k_apeArcade.wav
  • BERZERK_4k_apeArcade_PAL60.wav
  • Barbarian_Hero_(NTSC).wav'
  • Barbarian_Hero_(PAL).wav'
  • O.S.wav
  • Rambo_2600.wav
  • Rambo_Classic.wav
  • Rambo_Classic_(PAL).wav
  • Rollplay.wav
  • Sonic_Adventure_2600.wav
  • Strategy_X_Arcade.wav
  • The_Caterpillar_and_Butterfly_(NTSC).wav
  • The_Caterpillar_and_Butterfly_(PAL).wav
  • domino.wav
  • fly11.wav
  • fly12.wav

If anyone has tested them with his SuperCharger, let us know here in the thread if they work.

• Like 1

Mentioned this in another topic but mazecraze.bas does not compile in batari BASIC for me.  I'd love to use this to make SuperCharger batari BASIC games!

Years ago batari helped me figure it out enough to  make it a normal 8k game.  But, I forgot or never figured out how to get the actual SuperCharger project to compile under bB.

As a test I removed almost everything BUT the includesfile mazecraze_supercharger.inc and got this:

Compiling C:\Projects\2600\Twisty\mazecraze2_test.bas
--- Unresolved Symbol List
vcs.h                    0000 ????         (R )
sc_header.h              0000 ????         (R )
macro.h                  0000 ????         (R )
start                    0000 ????         (R )

0 bytes of ROM space left

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Errors were encountered during assembly.

14 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Mentioned this in another topic but mazecraze.bas does not compile in batari BASIC for me.  I'd love to use this to make SuperCharger batari BASIC games!

Years ago batari helped me figure it out enough to  make it a normal 8k game.  But, I forgot or never figured out how to get the actual SuperCharger project to compile under bB.

As a test I removed almost everything BUT the includesfile mazecraze_supercharger.inc and got this:

Compiling C:\Projects\2600\Twisty\mazecraze2_test.bas
--- Unresolved Symbol List
vcs.h                    0000 ????         (R )
sc_header.h              0000 ????         (R )
macro.h                  0000 ????         (R )
start                    0000 ????         (R )

0 bytes of ROM space left

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Errors were encountered during assembly.

You'll need all of the files to create a proper Supercharger ROM.

I posted the solution to the compilation issue in the other thread.

• Thanks 1

Added to the SuperCharger repository:

• Twisty Passages (2006, Fred Quimby @batari)

• Pitfall! (1982, David Crane)

• Cave 1K (2003, @Thomas Jentzsch)
  • Barnstorming (1982, Cartwright, Steve)
  • Astroblast (1982, Hal Finney)

@Thomas Jentzsch Duet v0.3 (Pas de Deux) has been auto generated and seems to work fine with the SuperCharger. It is an awesome game and it would be cool if you manage to keep the SC hotspots clear for the final version.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

@Thomas Jentzsch Duet v0.3 (Pas de Deux) has been auto generated and seems to work fine with the SuperCharger. It is an awesome game and it would be cool if you manage to keep the SC hotspots clear for the final version.

Will try, but probably the game will have to be extended to 8K.

• Like 1