IGNORED

Pit-Fall

Another incredible game found!

Sent to Atarimania by a Canadian user calling himself Vancouver and completely out of the blue comes... Pit-Fall:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pit-fall_41566.html

Although still pretty rough and VERY difficult, this long lost program by Chris Gray is of historical significance as it is one of the initial concepts that led to the creation of Boulder Dash!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Although still pretty rough and VERY difficult, this long lost program by Chris Gray is of historical significance as it is one of the initial concepts that led to the creation of Boulder Dash!

Peter Liepa talks about this in his interview with Antic Podcast.

That is a great find indeed. To think that one of my favorite 8bit games had a prototype that wasn't unlike the games I was writing at the time 😃 (I almost always wrote character graphics based because it was soooo much faster with my teenage skills).

Interesting mild artifacting use for the score line too. Seems like it would have been easier to have a DLI with mode 0 up there.

6 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Poss dumb question but running the ATR in Altirra takes you to DOS, where a dir search gives you a pitfall.new file. How do you load it? Loading from DOS gives you a bad file message.

Run"d:

Edited by mistapaul
  • Thanks 1

I'm part way through that BD history video now.

I don't think I'd ever seen the arcade game The Pit, which came out around the time of Dig Dug (Atari unsuccessfully sued)

Supposedly it is the one to thank for the evolution of BD.

Repton (not the shooter) also gets a mention, and it's author claims it was inspired by Boulder Dash but he'd never played it when he wrote it.

That text based BD proto - I wonder if that's still around - it would have some historical value.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

I'm part way through that BD history video now.

I don't think I'd ever seen the arcade game The Pit, which came out around the time of Dig Dug (Atari unsuccessfully sued)

Supposedly it is the one to thank for the evolution of BD.

Repton (not the shooter) also gets a mention, and it's author claims it was inspired by Boulder Dash but he'd never played it when he wrote it.

That text based BD proto - I wonder if that's still around - it would have some historical value.

Yea never heard of the arcade game The Pit, but Pit-Fall seems very similar to what I've seen online.

Very interesting.