IGNORED

XF551 Repair Question

hueyjones70

I have a reimaged XF551 PCB that isn't working. When I turn on the disk drive it does the normal move to track zero. When I turn on the computer, I hear a couple of clicks like it is going to boot, then I get a screen that shows info about the OS developer, (Dorndorf) an error message (16). That tells me that the board is making some communication with the computer. Where should I start in my efforts to correct the problem?

Then I have no idea. If you have another working drive (or electronics at least) you could swap chips to determine what's wrong. It may be the matter of a buffer U4 or WD1772 controller. The main CPU seems to be fine since Hyper-XF is able to communicate. But what it is actually... I have no idea.

Are you monitoring the voltages, without a heatsink I would think the voltage regulators could be thermally throttling due to overheating.

The 7812 has to reduce the input voltage at the current drawn by the mechanism, this can be quite a bit of power to dissipate without a heatsink.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:08 PM, blacka013 said:

I would also clean the solder side of the PCB and check the joints using a magnifying glass. Some are not very good.

I agree. A look at the board and there are some solder joint that are just needing rework. If it was me, I'd rework the entire board or get someone who knows how to solder as there are some scary solder points on that board!