IGNORED

ATARI 1010 HK same problem with all of them Help Needed

SviRu

Hi guys. I have 2 pristine looking 1010HK versions with flat main belt. All of them give an error or atari goes into SelfTest.

I also have 1010 Japan, 2xxc11 and XC12. None of them has any issues. Same tapes same cables. So definitely the problem lies in HK 1010.

Maybe someone encountered this issue before? Maybe there is an error within pcb? Heads are aligned properly. Self test occurs as quickly as 5-10sec after loading starts. 

The sound coming from 1010HK is different and it is wrong. 

Has anyone ever repaired this model? Of course all the belts are new and proper. Maybe some of the IC? Capacitors? Transistors? 

Any ideas? Thnx. Schematic attached.

1010.png

Edited by SviRu

5 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Are the Fast Forward and Rewind speeds normal compared to your other working units ?

If slower, then maybe check the power supply voltage from the bridge rectifier.

Check the Motor control switch isn't dirty.

Yes speed is good. Not slower for sure. Voltage from rectifier seems ok. Motor Control Switch looks brand new.

Beside those recommendations I replaced transistors and capacitors since mine were terribly noisy and it is quite a cheap and easy thing to do if you have a soldering iron. I also applied contact cleaner to all the switches specially the huge one with a lot of contacts. I also needed to change the belt since it was melted.

Another thing to consider is the mechanical aspects... For example, are all the rollers really moving when you push play?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, manterola said:

Beside those recommendations I replaced transistors and capacitors since mine were terribly noisy and it is quite a cheap and easy thing to do if you have a soldering iron. I also applied contact cleaner to all the switches specially the huge one with a lot of contacts. I also needed to change the belt since it was melted.

Another thing to consider is the mechanical aspects... For example, are all the rollers really moving when you push play?

Great. Could you pinpoint what to replace and what parts to use (like a quick tutorial). Soldering is not a problem. Did you change LM324 also? (quad opamp). I understand that you changed all electrolytics?

Edited by SviRu

5 minutes ago, manterola said:

I have to check out what I did. But in my case was more a "shotgun" approach, to solve the noise problem.. I was able to listen music thru the monitor speakers when I connected that Atari 1010, it picked up a radio station!

it is true... hum and hiss is high. I think you are talking about 9014C 9014B transistors... but please check. What in the end solved the problem? Capacitors? Transistors? Or did you solder everything at once?

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2023 at 11:11 PM, manterola said:

I have to check out what I did. But in my case was more a "shotgun" approach, to solve the noise problem.. I was able to listen music thru the monitor speakers when I connected that Atari 1010, it picked up a radio station!

Can you check what you did? I have 3 bad 1010. All are from HK. They are very loud. When you connect them to ATARI they are very noisy even without cassette rolling yet. I tried to swap LM324 - no luck. Measured capacitors. Seems fine. Head should be fine. Even when head is disconnected the noise is very loud. I think either one of the ceramic/mylar caps is bad / the overall circuit is bad... or transistors went bad. If you could go back in time and check it would be nice :) thnx