IGNORED

Where in the chain should a 1050 be positioned?

MattM1121

Greetings,

I have a shuttle with serial ports and an serial SIO2PC cable. I've manged to get RespeQt set up and connected. However, I am having some issues with the 1050 positioned before the RespeQt. Is there a best practice for this? Should the 1050 be positioned in the 2nd slot instead of the first? 

I appreciate any guidance about this.

Thanks,

-Matt

need much more information,

how are you using respeqt?

how are you using the 1050?

what are the conflicts?

you realize that slots and drives can conflict so the drive can't be assigned to a a number in use by respeqt and vice versa.

sometimes the 1050 will have to be turned off so there isn't a conflict on the same number ID

sometimes a slot will have to be empty so the 1050 can use the number id of that slot.

other issues need to be stated so we can help

generally I keep higher speed or devices that need current / high signal nearest to the machine or use a buffered sio splitter to help them, I always try to power items externally and not off the sio chain

most modern device skip the soft start choke/inductor etc that Atari put on a good deal of their SIO powered devices and those modern devices can cause glitching and other issues.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:57 PM, MattM1121 said:

However, I am having some issues with the 1050 positioned before the RespeQt.

You can only position the drive before SIO2SD since the cable has no outgoing SIO port.

If you talk about drive numbers:

It does not matter unless you assign the same drive number to a physical disk drive and an image loaded into RespeQt at the same time. This cannot work because the drive ID is the unique identifier of a device on the SIO bus.

Edited by DjayBee