IGNORED

New gold plated 5200 CX-5200 mylar replacements (Not from Best Elect.)

-^CrossBow^-

On 7/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I do know who owns the website and is behind these products and I have the utmost trust in them and can recommend these without hesitation. I'm curious to see what other products they might make available in the future.

AtariRepairParts.com

I emailed them about the possibility of producing 5200 controller extension cables (like those mentioned in the other thread) and I got this response from them -

We are looking at possibly making 5200 controller cables which would make it fairly easy to do extension cables as well. However, these items require molds to be made which can be quite expensive. We have to focus on the products we've made so far to recoup some of those expenses before we can move forward with the cables. But it is definitely on our radar.

Thanks for your message and please keep checking back.

- Atari Repair Parts

So hopefully a lot of 5200 owners with worn controllers start buying these kits so that they can expand their line of repair parts.  Who knows what else they're planning but it won't happen if people just look and then complain about Atari's design of the controllers instead of getting them fixed.
Edited by ledzep
  • Like 6

On 7/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, Razzie.P said:

I just ordered two kits. 

@-^CrossBow^- , I ordered one full kit and then a solo flex circuit so I can see what a fully replaced controller might be like vs one that had just the circuit but OEM buttons.

TL;DR - I'm super pleased with our friend from Frisco, Texas for stuff that's great with a website that doesn't want me to stab my eyes with a fork.

So as expected, the fully replaced one now feels like a brand new controller.  I used it on a controller where I was dumb and tried to solder a jumper to fix a broken trace since I have no conductive ink.  

Then, I used the second flex circuit on a controller that works fine except for the left side FIRE1.  OEM buttons and the new flex circuit seem to work perfectly fine as well.   At first one of the left side button didn't work consistently but it turned out I didn't place it correctly.   

FWIW, I didn't use any of the affixed 3M sticky pads to hold the flex circuit in place since there's little wiggle room internally anyway.  If things become erratic due to shifts, I'll go back and use them.

x.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Why not try these from Amazon?  Cheap and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHZ5WXJ

Ya, nothing against those, but I would want to have the little nubs or whatever that the 5200 uses to "lock" the controllers into the ports.  They have plans to make controller cables, anyway, all they'd need to do extra is make a mold for an extension connector so that they could make extension cables like those ones I linked to that would have the slots to accept those little locking tabs.

I have an idea or two that I might look into eventually that would require cutting up an extension cable so I would go with the cheapest option (like your Amazon link) to destroy in that case.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ledzep said:

like those ones I linked to that would have the slots to accept those little locking tabs.

So in practice, even without the "locking tabs", the effort to pull out the extension cord is about the same as an OEM controller with the tabs.   Again, I don't know if it's this model or the 2 I actually got but it's no harder or softer a fit than OEM plugs.  It's perfect.

8 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

So in practice, even without the "locking tabs", the effort to pull out the extension cord is about the same as an OEM controller with the tabs.   Again, I don't know if it's this model or the 2 I actually got but it's no harder or softer a fit than OEM plugs.  It's perfect.

I don't doubt it but I can also see the use case where some controller is loose from so many times plugging in/out and it doesn't grab as well, or the console won't hold the extension cable tight, who knows.  I'm just the type would prefer the dedicated design that's 5200-specific.  Unless they're $40 each or something stupid like that, then that's nice but you can keep those, hahaaha.  But in the interim, sure, those Amazon cables are fine, glad they even exist.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, atari-dna said:

Thanks for posting thoughts on these new flex circuit offerings.  The price point is attractive, I hope the build quality is solid, durability and all that.  From the above feedback, it certainly seems worth a try to get a pair and try 'em out. 

They are higher quality flex mylars compared to the original Atari Rev 7 and Rev 9s I've been using for years I can say that much for sure. I actually find them a little too stiff and had trouble getting them to bend as easily for the fire button sides but yeah, I don't think these are going to wear out anytime too soon and while $25 for a set might still be too expensive for some folks, I know it is worth it if I don't have to really mess with them much anymore going forward as I did previously replacing my foil dots every few years.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:50 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

They are higher quality flex mylars compared to the original Atari Rev 7 and Rev 9s I've been using for years I can say that much for sure.

Agreed, and, for further comparison, the quality is at least the same as Best's mylars.

I actually find them a little too stiff and had trouble getting them to bend as easily for the fire button sides

The trick I found was to lower the keypad down onto the plinth with the sides pre-bent - basically, putting it in sort of an inverted 'U' shape.  The arms are less bendable than the Atari or Best units, definitely.

I don't think these are going to wear out anytime too soon and while $25 for a set might still be too expensive for some folks

True, but the option to do a rebuild in stages is there.  Even having said that, compared to Best's pricing, it's still much more affordable at around half of their cost.

I know it is worth it if I don't have to really mess with them much anymore going forward as I did previously replacing my foil dots every few years.

This is the big plus.  I get varying amounts of time out of the foil dots, and end up having to open controllers because <insert button here> is either non-functional or permanently jammed high because a foil dot went AWOL again.

Anyone have trouble with the fire buttons? They work, but need to be pressed on center of the button and kinda harder than I'd like. Or at least than I'm used to... 

I replaced the carbon traced mylars in a Taiwan made controller (low boot) that came boxed with my * 4 port. It's not a glossy four port, rather matte like a two port. The controllers didn't work at all and this kit fixed one up nice. I did notice the button issue though. I've glued foil dots to other controllers over the years. Never really noticed this before.. 

21 minutes ago, Charlie_ said:

Anyone have trouble with the fire buttons? They work, but need to be pressed on center of the button and kinda harder than I'd like. Or at least than I'm used to... 

I replaced the carbon traced mylars in a Taiwan made controller (low boot) that came boxed with my * 4 port. It's not a glossy four port, rather matte like a two port. The controllers didn't work at all and this kit fixed one up nice. I did notice the button issue though. I've glued foil dots to other controllers over the years. Never really noticed this before.. 

No issues with the fire buttons on mine, just the top row buttons seeming to sit lower than they did originally but that is a very minor thing. Are you sure you have everything lined up properly? Although given the very large surface area of these replacements, I'd be surprised of any alignment issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 4:19 PM, vintagegamecrazy said:

I definitely want to support this company. This is such a good thing so hopefully within a week or so I plan on ordering at least three of these.

I am also interested to order.  But buttons seem a little less high.  And with repeated use the mylar contacts will get dirty over time and need a good cleaning.  Which will require opening up the controller and possibly damaging something in the process or upon trying to put it back together.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Still have all my old 5200 controllers and yes none working even there rubber joystick parts are all ripped out need to replace them too some how.

IMG_20230915_225141165.jpg

Not sure of a source for the rubber boots that go around the controller, but the rest of the buttons can be purchased new from the link provided in this post as if you get the complete kit it comes with a new Start,Pause,Reset button set, two new fire buttons sets, and a new keypad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure of a source for the rubber boots that go around the controller, but the rest of the buttons can be purchased new from the link provided in this post as if you get the complete kit it comes with a new Start,Pause,Reset button set, two new fire buttons sets, and a new keypad.

Love my 5200 as I still have in the box and with box games 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered three of them and installed them. They are a bit tricky due to being stiff not really nothing overly difficult. The only difference I noticed compared to Best's version is that they're slightly less tactile feeling when pressing the button, so those are maybe slightly better but not enough to justify the almost triple price they go for. So far these are a huge win for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Did Best have the boots? I thought they did but could be wrong

12 minutes ago, Leatherrebel5150 said:

Did Best have the boots? I thought they did but could be wrong

Don't know as I've never looked or tried to order replacements. All of mine on my controllers are in still in good condition.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I didnt realize it but these guys have an eBay store now too so I ordered a kit from them off there.  Its already arrived at my house so I plan on putting it together tonight.

Aren't their kits on the 'bay more expensive than through their webstore though?