IGNORED

New gold plated 5200 CX-5200 mylar replacements (Not from Best Elect.)

-^CrossBow^-

• 1 month later...

I did a bit of research about the 5200 before looking to pick one up and it really was the controller issues that put me off. But it was this particular thread that pushed me over the line to decide to pick one up. Not only that the controllers can be fixed (and not just temporarily so), but also that I didn't have to deal with perceivably difficult vendors. There's a similar type in the pinball world (Pinball Resource) that I try to avoid.

Anyway, I bought the full kit and, while I concur with observation that the mylar is a little stiff, they installed nice and the controllers play great!

I'm now looking to get a trak-ball controller. These could do with an upgrade (keypad, fire & action buttons), too?

On 1/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, Rampton said:

I did a bit of research about the 5200 before looking to pick one up and it really was the controller issues that put me off. But it was this particular thread that pushed me over the line to decide to pick one up. Not only that the controllers can be fixed (and not just temporarily so), but also that I didn't have to deal with perceivably difficult vendors. There's a similar type in the pinball world (Pinball Resource) that I try to avoid.

Anyway, I bought the full kit and, while I concur with observation that the mylar is a little stiff, they installed nice and the controllers play great!

I'm now looking to get a trak-ball controller. These could do with an upgrade (keypad, fire & action buttons), too?

The trackball fire/action buttons use the same kind of metal dome switch you would find in a stock 2600 controller. And it's been a while since I opened one up, but pretty sure the keypad directly makes contact with the PCB, like a remote control button would. No mylar sheets with traces to go bad like in the controller. 

• 6 months later...

I navigated Best Electronics for the last 30 minutes and could not figure out how to place an actual order.  I just don't get it. I dumped my first 5200 about 20 years ago because of the same problem with their website.

I purchased another Atari 5200 recently and am thrilled to come across this forum post.  Hopefully I can get it working 100% and finally enjoy some retro gaming goodness I never got to have 40 years ago. 

Thank you for posting this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bmulligan said:

I navigated Best Electronics for the last 30 minutes and could not figure out how to place an actual order.  I just don't get it. I dumped my first 5200 about 20 years ago because of the same problem with their website.

I purchased another Atari 5200 recently and am thrilled to come across this forum post.  Hopefully I can get it working 100% and finally enjoy some retro gaming goodness I never got to have 40 years ago. 

From what I can remember, you sift through the massive pages of quoted reviews and descriptions to find the part numbers (or part names) and then you email an order of what you want (or phone them, never tried that).  You get a response that tells you what is in stock (usually everything you wanted) and how much and how to pay.  But there is no order button/shopping cart to fill and then use PayPal or a credit card to order in one shot like most sites.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ledzep said:

From what I can remember, you sift through the massive pages of quoted reviews and descriptions to find the part numbers (or part names) and then you email an order of what you want (or phone them, never tried that).  You get a response that tells you what is in stock (usually everything you wanted) and how much and how to pay.  But there is no order button/shopping cart to fill and then use PayPal or a credit card to order in one shot like most sites.

You forgot a few critical steps:

- Remember your old customer number from that one order you placed with them 20-someodd years ago (yeah right).

- Find the one line buried down beneath the massive walls of text that tells you how many items and what dollar amount your order must contain (not likely).

- Hope that the parts you specified are actually still in stock (even less likely).

- Pray to whatever supreme being(s) that you may or may not believe exist that Brad isn't in a bad mood (impossible).

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, bmulligan said:

If you placed your order through Atari Repair Parts, it will arrive PDQ. The last order I placed was late on a Friday afternoon and I want to say it arrived the following Monday! So you should get your order pretty quickly and the controllers only take a few minutes to repair. Just make sure to remove that top bezel that surrounds the Start,Pause, and Reset buttons first before you take the two halves apart. If you don't it will be really difficult to get the replacement part of the mylar for those top buttons in there properly after the fact.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did order from Atari Repair Parts and, just like you said, the parts arrived a few days later with a handwritten thank you note! 

Wonderful service and these rebuild kits look amazing!

I can't tell you how happy I am to be collecting for this system again and having 2 fully functioning controllers.

IMG_7310.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...