IGNORED

BASIC cartridge FUBAR?

Kernel

I picked up an Atari 400 with a BASIC and SOCCER game at a thrift store and now finally got around to trying it out after getting an AC adapter for it.  I believe the BASIC cartridge is the REV A as it's the brown label and has "BASIC COMPUTING LANGUAGE" written on it.  I think it may be damaged beyond the normal bugs but wanted to ask what people thought here.

When I enter a basic program such as

10 PRINT "HELLO"

20 GOTO 10

and then type RUN, it simply locks up.  If I don't use the GOTO but simply use line 10, it works fine.  If I add another PRINT at line 20, when I run it it only executes line 20.  Adding a 3rd PRINT line at 30 and it only executes that line. Therefore, I know that the first program did not work because it's somehow losing the other line numbers.

If I type LIST, it locks up.  If I try the PRINT PEEK(43234) it locks up as well.

I'm more than willing to get a REV C cart but was just curious if this would be the cart or my machine?  The SOCCER game initially would not load but I cleaned the contacts and it started working fine.  I also cleaned the contacts on the BASIC cart.

I'm probably missing something...

Edited by Kernel

Just now, Rybags said:

It could be a problem with the cart but also elsewhere within the computer.

Can you test the cart in another computer?

Unfortunately I don't have another and don't know anyone with one... guess I go thrifting again and hope to get lucky, or land one on eBay.

5 minutes ago, Rybags said:

For bad FP theory, try this in immediate mode:

? "ABCDEF"

? 1+2

If it's a bad FP, then practically any bootable game will still work but most language processors won't.

ABCDEF printed, but it locked on the 1+2.

Yep, I would put the FP Rom at 95% odds on to blame.  You could try pulling the OS card out then pry it out slightly and reseat it.

Alternatively the problem might be in memory select logic which then becomes a bit more complex to chase down.

I'd otherwise suggest/provide a small typein program to test if the FP is there, but I can't think of anything you could run in Basic in the machine's current state that won't just crash as everthing else has.

Do you have the means to transfer downloaded programs to bootable media for the Atari?

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Not yet… no disk drive or cassette deck or anything else but I’m open to options.  Since I’m just starting to explore the Atari 8-bit scene I’m still quite green on the different solutions available by default and by creative people.

Well, I'm realizing why I stopped playing with retro computers so much...

Tore the machine apart and pulled and reseated all chips.  Video went on it and after troubleshooting I had re-seated the video chip backwards.  Whoops...

However, upon reassembly and testing

1) Still locks when trying the PRINT PEEK(43234)

2) Keyboard started acting funky, looks like the ribbon cable has come to and end.  If I crimp it just right thins seems to work but that's not really the best solution

3) Tabs on cartridge port snapped off... still works like this however as the RF shield holds it down

3) Both hinges on the lid snapped.  Damn brittle plastic.  The lif appears heavy enough to just sit on it and hold the kill switch down though.

The only ray of sunshine is I only paid 5 bucks for it with the cartridges... so there's that.

Might pick another one up as a parts unit (or maybe this will be the parts unit?)

Question... which chip would I need to replace to test the "FP" theory noted above?

Yeah trust me I wasn’t going crazy on it… the cartridge port cover was def stupidity but the rest was simply Old age by the looks of it.  I actually super glued the initial broken hinge and when I opened the door to test the spring the other side just crumbled.  They keyboard well I was delicate as could be knowing those ribbons are delicate but it mist have just been at the EOL 😕